MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wayne,

You've been holding out on me. I hear you have a stable mate for the 109. So lets see her! How do you like it so far?

D.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I could have swore I post this here, but I guess I had a senor moment. It sure is a different animal compared to the 9. I have 500 miles on it, wow. :rayof:

I still have the 109, but I can tell you for certain, this one will get most of the riding. This bike is so effortless in the twisties, and more power than I will ever need. Today I had it up to 145mph, in 3rd, before I ran out of road. The speedo was still climbing at a good rate. What a rush. :pepper2: When it is fully broke in and on the right road, I will have to see what it's top end is.

I don't have the bags on it in these pictures, because there just happened to be a recall on them for falling off the bike, so I left them at the dealer to be upgraded. I have them now and using them. I got one hell of a deal on it. Out door for less than list, so that is really why I pulled the trigger.

We'll have to hook up some weekend and you can check it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Grrrrreaaat. I tell DW that I'm tired of the 109 and would prefer a Concours 14. So what does he do? He sends me a link to this post to show me that you Wayne, a fellow 109'er, just got a 14. Pardon, be right back.....

....ok, back now. Had to go down to the garage and tell the 109 it's days are numbered. This is what threw me right over the freakin' edge earlier this week when I stumbled across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTPlylQtYZ0

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to tell you I'm really liking the new 14 a lot. Don't get me wrong, the Strom is still my favorite but I sure wouldn't mind adding a new ride to the stable. I don't even dare mention it to my better half given we just spent all our money on a house in TN and still have to get there. Maybe later this summer I'll start dropping some hints.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ELSNazTcpQg

·
Registered
75 Posts
airphoto said:
Grrrrreaaat. I tell DW that I'm tired of the 109 and would prefer a Concours 14. So what does he do? He sends me a link to this post to show me that you Wayne, a fellow 109'er, just got a 14. Pardon, be right back.....

....ok, back now. Had to go down to the garage and tell the 109 it's days are numbered. This is what threw me right over the freakin' edge earlier this week when I stumbled across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTPlylQtYZ0
Cool another 109 brother and now another C14 brother. My plan right now is to still keep to 9, but it will really depend on how much I ride it. It is still a very cool cruiser and I still really like it alot, so I will have to see how it fits into my agenda.

Isn't that the Muzzie pipe? What does one of those cose? The pipe is the only thing I am interested in changing, it is just so BIG.

·
Registered
75 Posts
dklassen said:
I have to tell you I'm really liking the new 14 a lot. Don't get me wrong, the Strom is still my favorite but I sure wouldn't mind adding a new ride to the stable. I don't even dare mention it to my better half given we just spent all our money on a house in TN and still have to get there. Maybe later this summer I'll start dropping some hints.
I have been cruising the message board on this 14 and I cannot find any one that has anything really bad to say about it and so far, I am thoroughly thrilled with it. :icon10: Yeah Shon told me you finally bought a house in TN, congratulations. When are you guys planning on making the move?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry I have been away from this, I don't have notifications turned on apparently...gonna fix that shortly. Yep, it's the Muzzy pipe. If I had your bike, I'd change it "like yesterday." Sounds fantastic.

I rode the 109 the other day, and pinched my sciatic nerve again. It seems to happen every time I ride it now, so I am definitely selling it. My buddy pointed out to me that the riding position puts all the pressure on my rump, and he's right. Hopefully that 14 will be in my garage before the end of April?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have done some serious riding on my 109. I bought it Feb of '07 and it now has a little over 23K miles. We ride every Sunday anywhere from 300 to 500 miles each time. I had a guy rework the seat on the 109 that radiused the edges where you leg drapes over and to carve out a better pocket to sit in. Works really well for me.

I very first ride I went on with the C14, we did a little over 500 miles and I could have ridden farther but we ran out of daylight. The biggest thing I noticed about the Connie, that I will have to get use to is leaning on the bars, it causes my wrists to get sore. I guess I could get the risers, but I think I can get use to it.

I really am looking for a pipe that is quiet, maybe a bit more rumble than the stocker. My 9 is loud and the cops can hear you coming, so being quite is kind of nice. I really only have the complaint of butt ugly with the stock pipe. Do you know of any quieter slip on pipes other than the Muzzy?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah, I was looking at that one also. From what I read on some of the Concours threads, it is loud. :police:
I think this is like an oxy moron thing. After market yet quiet. :ne_nau:

This bike has soo much power, more than I can use, so I really don't need a performance upgrade. ;D

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love the Leo Vince's on my V-Strom. With the baffles out they can bark pretty good. Most of the time I leave them in but even still there have been times when I wish I had the stock pipes back on. The Stom has plenty of power either way but sometimes it's nice to have a quite ride in the country with out the pipes screaming your ear all the time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just went to their web site and it looks as though they don't have anything. Although I do see where they do offer a "Quiet Insert", sounds promising.

I emailed them, let's see what they say.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You've got some serious miles on your 109! I've only got 3325 on mine since last May. But that's enough to tell me I want something else. I dropped the bike off at the dealer today for some warranty work. Every now and then the speedo shoots up to 140-150 indicated. And I KNOW I'm only doing 130. :icon_wink: Seriously though, it happens when I'm running 40-50. It also has a nasty habit of stalling out as if there's water in the fuel. It had the fuel rail replaced under recall at 900 miles though.

But on with the story...the dealer was showing me the Yamaha FJR1300, and it's not as tall as the concours. It fits me a bit better, but I still think the concours looks better. I didn't pay attention to the bar reach, so I will go back and pay attention to that. They just got in a clutchless FJR yesterday. I sat on it, and I gotta say, the lack of clutch is just wrong. It has this nifty thumb actuated shifter on the left grip, but there's nothing natural about that for me. It retains the shift pedal also, but without the clutch, I felt nekked. Even told the guy...in a panic, my brain would tell me something is horribly wrong when I went for a clutch that wasn't there. It was just very odd, and very wrong feeling. 25yrs of riding, and I can't say I'd ever want a bike without the two things at the grips I'm used to...a clutch, and a front brake.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Darryl, I sent an email to LeoVince to see if they make a pipe for my bike. And YES there is one almost ready. Here is the email response.

Hi Wayne,
Yes, we have developed a slip-on for the Concours 1400, we expect it to be available towards the end of this month, possibly April at the latest.

It includes a removable sound insert, and is rated at a very respectable 94 db (stock is 89) with the insert installed. I have attached a couple pictures for you.

I will have to see what the price is. I know these guys want an arm and half a leg for their pipes. The second photo is from Area P. Their pipe is only $395, that is in my range. I think that LeoVince is somewhere like $800

·
Registered
75 Posts
airphoto said:
I dropped the bike off at the dealer today for some warranty work. Every now and then the speedo shoots up to 140-150 indicated. And I KNOW I'm only doing 130. :icon_wink: Seriously though, it happens when I'm running 40-50. It also has a nasty habit of stalling out as if there's water in the fuel. It had the fuel rail replaced under recall at 900 miles though.
From what I have heard, when the speedo does that, there is some metal particles in the oil and is stuck on the speedo sensor on the left side of the motor, at the front of the shaft. Usually changing the oil fixes it, or removing the sensor and cleaning it up. This has happened to quite a few people with low mileage. No to me though. :laugh:

I tried the FJR on for size and it didn't fit me very well. I am a big guy and I didn't fit in between the tank and the seat well. The connie fits nice. One of the guys I ride with has one, and it is definitely a keeper too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's interesting about the speedo problem. Let's see what these guys figure out on their own, and if they say they don't find anything, then the oil change will perhaps fix it. :)

So you're saying the FJR is a keeper too? The salesguy called me today to try to work me up a great deal on the clutchless, and I asked him if he rode, to which he responded yes. I asked in a panic stop, what he does, and he said he grabs up handfuls of clutch and front brake. I let the phone go silent...

.....then we discussed getting a great deal on the standard version, so he's jumbling numbers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, good luck on that FJR, my friend really likes his a bunch, I am sure you will too. I got the C14 for $11,999 and I beat them out of the set up fees also, so just tax and license. Most places are really wanting to deal right now, at least here is San Diego any ways.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That price on your 14 is hard to beat for sure. The FJR is considerably more. The best I got so far on a 14 is around $13. Ditto on the FJR from what it's sounding like so far. I'll keep you updated. Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Thought I'd stop by and see what's up. For such a cool bike, I would think this thread would rock! :261::censoredsmilie:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts