MBF Motorcycle Forums banner

New Bike Extended Warranty

5K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  eian31 
#1 ·
What does the group recommend as far as taking the extended 4 year warranty? I'm picking mine up soon and haven't decided whether to purchase the extended warranty. The cost was just under $700 for 4 years. Seems like a pretty good deal but I've received mixed opinions. I've talked to two Yamaha owners that have significant mileage on their bikes and never had warranty work done. I know there will likely be mixed opinions, but I'm hoping for arguments one way or the other.

Thanks everyone.

Oh, and since I posted yesterday, my dealer called me to tell me he has a Candy Red/flames coming in the first week of May. I was originally buying a Tommy Blue and picking up next week, but I told him I would hold out for the candy red/flames. It sucks that I'll have to wait, but my MSF course isn't until the 26th and 27th anyway, so its probably for the better anyway. Sorry to all the "blue" owners out there....

#2 ·
Extended warranty is a flip of the coin. Just like car insurance, health insurance, etc. you're taking the chance. Question is do you want to take the chance of a part going out and costing a few bucks or few thousand and having to pay that out of pocket. It's one of those things, if you do get it and never use it than GOOD For You. But, if you don't buy the warranty and need it are you going to be pissed at yourself. If your asking yourself if I bought one, than the answer is, heck yes. I would rather pay a few bucks now for years of protection than maybe thousands later if there is an issue. And if I never use it, that's ok too, at least I've got piece of mind. Thanks.

#3 ·
I am with RR on that one. I also bought the Ext. Warranty. Better to pay a few bucks up front than to have to pay later (maybe). Keep in mind this is a new model with several changes in wheel base, motor size, etc. a lot can go wrong so any one buying the 08 Raider would be a wise decision to buy the EXT. Warranty.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. I guess when I think about it effectively costing about $175 per year for each of the 4 years covered, that's pretty good insurance if something mechanical goes wrong. I was leaning towards buying it, but like I said a few people got me thinking whether it was worth it or not. When I break it down into cost on a per year basis (sorry, I'm a CPA) that really is pretty cheap. Is that about what you guys paid ($700)?

#5 ·
let me ask you all this! When I bought my Raider the dealer never even mentioned an extended warranty option, and they are also a very small dealer that usually sells farm implement and mostly just Yamaha 4 wheelers. I am not even sure but i doubt they are authorized to do the warranty work anyway, can I still purchase the warranty after original purchase? If so do I just have to get it b4 the 1 Yr MFG warrany runs out?
I know that was a bunch of questions so I appologize

#6 ·
i bought it for the simple fact that if and i mean if something happened to the engine or the drive train it would take long to go over $700 in parts and labor. i also bought the tire and wheel warranty cause ya never know when i pot hole gonna sneak up on ya and bend a rim ;D

#7 ·
Yes I paid about the same as you did for the warranty. As far as buying it after purchase date, you should get something in the mail from Yamaha trying to get you to buy it. If not, call your dealer, or another one close to you that you know can work on your bike. They should be able to help you. Or you can call 866-YES-EXTD. This is Yamaha's extended warranty number, they can help you with your purchase. And even though it might seem like it, I don't work for Yamaha, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

#9 ·
What dealer sold you yours and could you find out if he would honor that price for others here? My guess is prolly not but hell its worth a shot! ;D

#10 ·
Eain,

Just talked to my guy at Stahlman Power Sports here in Rolla, Mo. He said to give him a call, he can sell you an extended warranty no matter where you live. Once again I pd about $600 for mine. Remember that there are different lengths of warranty. They will have 2, 3, or 4 years available, plus the first year from Yamaha. Call him if you like. It's Mark Wood @ 573-364-6944. He is the GM there, super nice guy. Thanks, Dennis.

#11 ·
Hey Dennis,
Thanks for the contact I may give him a call here within the next couple dyas.

#12 ·
Hello to all,
The dealer who sold me my extended warranty (4 years of YES, which makes it a five year warranty as this adds
to the first year with Yamaha) is Mattoon, Illinois Yamaha. Terry Glaze is the owner.

I think they had a sale on the YES program but I just bought it five weeks ago, surely he can give you the same but you could ask.

I think you should check the Star Motorcycle website too. Sometimes they have deals on the site a dealer will miss.

Let me know how you fair. I wouldn't give more than $500.00 for it.

Ken

#14 ·
Directline parts has them in another thread for $445, sounds like a good deal to me.

#15 ·
Any one that has not purchased their bike yet might ask if their dealer has a service plan like what my dealer provides. Includes 3 yr warranty and all maintenance is covered. Yes no oil changes. I also get preferred scheduling. No waiting months for a service. they bump me right up to the top.

#16 ·
that would be sweet except my closest dealer is 100 miles away :icon10:
However word on the street is that we have one opening in town this spring and I am hoping they are right.

#18 ·
Thanks NJ, I guess I could have done that too, but I was either feeling selfish or lazy ..............You pick LOL

#20 ·
My new Raider is waiting for me now, just need to sell my 07 Custom 1st. The dealership really low booked me on a trade-in so I put money down on the raider and have 2 weeks to sell my bike.

Looks like very one is recomending the Extended Warranty right? Has there been any reported probelms yet? I think I am going to try to talk the dealer down to the Directline price and if they don't got for it, I'll get it from Directline. Is there any probelms with going through directline for the warranty?

#22 ·
Yes I was told they are tranferable

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.