MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with the dealership.

For whatever reason... they sent my rotors to Preformance Edge along with the other stuff I wanted chromed.

Also... for whatever reason PE actually chromed both front rotors... which I NEVER discussed with them.

Now.... I need some help here.

I've heard that chroming the rotors is a "no-no".

What do I do?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm NOT looking to point a finger.. or blame.

Just... what about the chromed front rotors???

Has anyone had their rotors chromed?

Will it/did it hurt the preformance of the brakes?

Etc....

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have heard the same thing, I don't know what it will do but I assume that because the chrome will be much smoother than the machined rotor you will have some stopping issues. I do not know this for a fact however, I recall seeing another post on a diffrent forum that said it was no big deal though.

So I guess what I am saying is that I am no help to you, sorry I rambled for so long!

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
The friction area of the rotor is chromed as well?

The brake pads will certainly scuff off the chrome eventually, but I'd be concerned for two reasons
- decreased braking performance until the chrome wears off the friction surface
- fitting the original caliper back on. The rotors will be thicker than spec now due to the layer of chrome.

If your dealership sent the rotors to get chromed with the rest of your stuff, remind them that you never asked for that, and have them fix it. They should machine your rotors down to within spec, which will remove the chrome from the friction surface, but leave the center portion OK, which will look really cool.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Chromed or polished rotors will drastically reduce your braking ability and they will not look great after putting miles on them.

I would not ride with them.

You do see them, especially at bike shows. But it is a saftey and performance hit.

just my opinion,

fisher

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To all those who responded to this post... thank you very much.

As it turned out... the rotors were NOT chromed. Performance Edge did such a fine job polishing the rotors that they only look like they've been chromed. The service manager at the dealership was mistaken.....

P.E. also made sure all the threads were "clean" before shipping.

Kudos to P.E.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mr. T said:
To all those who responded to this post... thank you very much.

As it turned out... the rotors were NOT chromed. Performance Edge did such a fine job polishing the rotors that they only look like they've been chromed. The service manager at the dealership was mistaken.....

P.E. also made sure all the threads were "clean" before shipping.

Kudos to P.E.
I think, they just wanted to hit you up for more cash. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts