MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed a chirping sound that appears to becoming from directly underneath the seat on the left side. I only hear it in 2nd gear while cruising steady speed between 50-60mph. I can't hear it at all in 1st gear, maybe because of the higher RPMs and louder exhaust note. I don't hear it in neutral either. Could it be the drive belt/front pulley or maybe the output shaft bearing, or something else?

I'm planning to go to MBH on Saturday for the open house, but don't want to get left on the side of the road. Any input would be appreciated.

Chris

·
Registered
147 Posts
Chris,

To eliminate the very common problem of belt noise, try rubbing a little vaseline on the edge of the drive belt- whichever edge appears to be rubbing against the lip of the rear (or front) drive pulley. If it quiets down then you know its a belt alignment issue. If not, it could be the output shaft bearing, but not necessarily. My belt, when getting dry, sounds just like you are describing - a chirping noise, and all it takes is a little vaseline every several hundred miles. I carry it with me in a small aspirin/medicine bottle. In a pinch, carry a tube of chapstick.

Good luck!

Brad

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Yeah, very common issue. When mine started doing that, the result was the front pulley going south. It went away after I changed it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have noticed a chirping sound that appears to becoming from directly underneath the seat on the left side. I only hear it in 2nd gear while cruising steady speed between 50-60mph. I can't hear it at all in 1st gear, maybe because of the higher RPMs and louder exhaust note. I don't hear it in neutral either. Could it be the drive belt/front pulley or maybe the output shaft bearing, or something else?

I'm planning to go to MBH on Saturday for the open house, but don't want to get left on the side of the road. Any input would be appreciated.

Chris
My drive belt made weird noises at some point, it was suggested to spray the belt with a product, that I can not find the name right now, Its made for squeaky belts for cars but it did the trick for my bike, try this https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-belt-dressing-170-g-0383810p.html

·
American Legion Rider
39 Posts
Just use a common bar of soap. You might also find a lonely stretch of road and shift into neutral and hit the kill switch so you only hear the tires on the road and any other odd sounds coming from the bike. It’s good to do that now and then when you hear odd things. Do this with enough speed to roll for awhile so you can isolate the source of any noise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts