MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Two Cents: Somewhere along the lines people have forgot this is a chopper inspired design. It is not a sport bike, not a crotch rocket or anything of the sort, nor is it a touring styled bike. When I think of someone putting a windshield on it, I think they bought the wrong bike. I could never imagine easy rider or orange county using a windshield on a chopper inspired bike, not a chopper, but a chopper inspired bike. I would not want to see a windshield on a Harley rocker or Sportster. Windshields in my opinion belong on a Road Star, Road King style bikes. The same with putting 2 into 1 on the bike or putting pipes like on a sports bike. I've seen the Morton's and the Cobra swepts up close on the Raider and they follow the lines of the bike and they give it a custom look. Only my opinon, any thoughts? ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa.....I agree with mosta your posta BUT I have the chopper inspired sound with my 2 into 1 hard krome side burners :icon_twisted: LOL thats what makes modding so much fun, plus a Lil bit of crotch rocket with the factory handling,the PR-BAK,clutch mod,Lil bit of the packing bike with the sissy bar w/pack for traveling,hey its the best of all worlds for me ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Rob06 said:
Whoa, Whoa, Whoa.....I agree with mosta your posta BUT I have the chopper inspired sound with my 2 into 1 hard krome side burners :icon_twisted: LOL thats what makes modding so much fun, plus a Lil bit of crotch rocket with the factory handling,the PR-BAK,clutch mod,Lil bit of the packing bike with the sissy bar w/pack for traveling,hey its the best of all worlds for me ;D
What clutch mod is available?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
Poetsaint said:
My Two Cents: Somewhere along the lines people have forgot this is a chopper inspired design. It is not a sport bike, not a crotch rocket or anything of the sort, nor is it a touring styled bike. When I think of someone putting a windshield on it, I think they bought the wrong bike. I could never imagine easy rider or orange county using a windshield on a chopper inspired bike, not a chopper, but a chopper inspired bike. I would not want to see a windshield on a Harley rocker or Sportster. Windshields in my opinion belong on a Road Star, Road King style bikes. The same with putting 2 into 1 on the bike or putting pipes like on a sports bike. I've seen the Morton's and the Cobra swepts up close on the Raider and they follow the lines of the bike and they give it a custom look. Only my opinon, any thoughts? ::)
Thats my 2cents too but then again you have to remember not all folks have one of each. The Raider looks better than expected with bags and windshield for touring.Just don't do too many track days with it. LOL Jack :wave:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
Opinions are like... well... everybody knows that saying.

What's great about this is that everyone gets to build their bike to their specifications. Everyone has their own tastes and will do their mods accordingly.

I don't happen to like the Cobra Swepts.. or any that are in production currently. They're all too long. But... that's me... and not everybody else.

If we were all the same... how boaring would that be?

I say.... mod away guys/gals... it's your bike.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
From a style standpoint, I tend to agree with our threadstarter - BTW, welcome to the forum, glad to have you along for the ride -

Unfortunately, the cold (literally) reality of long distance, interstate riding comes into play, at least some of the time, and a windshield definitely cuts down on fatigue. It's one of the reasons I chose the Switchblade shield - on and off the bike easily with no tools. If it's going to be a short bar-hop or bike night, the shield comes off.

Even though the bike is not a touring style machine, it can certainly be used as such, with comfortable seat options that are easily switched on and off the bike, and it certainly has the performance capabilities for the long haul.

Exhaust is a whole other discussion. Again, stylistically, a straight-through, 2-into-2, swept, baffle-less design screams "custom chopper". But at what performance cost? Anyone that tells you that they don't want their custom bike to be fast is lying. While I wouldn't put a sport bike muffler on any cruiser, a well-designed 2-into-1 system brings a large displacement V-Twin to life in thrilling fashion. Chopper or not, riders want their bikes to haul-a**, no doubt.

Part of my personal mission with every bike I've had is to find those options and accessories that allow us to get the most out of the performance capabilities of the machine, enjoy them under a variety of circumstances and situations whether that be stop-light drags or interstate rides, and never lose the original spirit of the motorcycle.

Tried to make the most of our last bike, the Meanie - all the accessories could be added or removed from the bike in under 5 minutes.

As a hot rod


As a 2-up distance rig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Poetsaint said:
My Two Cents: Somewhere along the lines people have forgot this is a chopper inspired design. It is not a sport bike, not a crotch rocket or anything of the sort, nor is it a touring styled bike. When I think of someone putting a windshield on it, I think they bought the wrong bike. I could never imagine easy rider or orange county using a windshield on a chopper inspired bike, not a chopper, but a chopper inspired bike. I would not want to see a windshield on a Harley rocker or Sportster. Windshields in my opinion belong on a Road Star, Road King style bikes. The same with putting 2 into 1 on the bike or putting pipes like on a sports bike. I've seen the Morton's and the Cobra swepts up close on the Raider and they follow the lines of the bike and they give it a custom look. Only my opinon, any thoughts? ::)
My 2 cents:
We build it. You make it your own.
Easy rider (I love it) is Hollywood. And I'm not even gonna start about OCC.

I've done my time of long distance, in the rain riding. That is for the young! I can still do it but I am not happy.

I love the looks of the V&H Big Radius 2 into 1. Those are the pipes I'm gonna get. (Hopefully they come out this year!)

The back rest the wife needs so she can enjoy a long ride.

Saddle bags are nice for carrying things like chaps, gauntlets and goggles.

My 2 cents

Later

Coyote
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
NJRaider said:
From a style standpoint, I tend to agree with our threadstarter - BTW, welcome to the forum, glad to have you along for the ride -

Unfortunately, the cold (literally) reality of long distance, interstate riding comes into play, at least some of the time, and a windshield definitely cuts down on fatigue. It's one of the reasons I chose the Switchblade shield - on and off the bike easily with no tools. If it's going to be a short bar-hop or bike night, the shield comes off.

Even though the bike is not a touring style machine, it can certainly be used as such, with comfortable seat options that are easily switched on and off the bike, and it certainly has the performance capabilities for the long haul.

Exhaust is a whole other discussion. Again, stylistically, a straight-through, 2-into-2, swept, baffle-less design screams "custom chopper". But at what performance cost? Anyone that tells you that they don't want their custom bike to be fast is lying. While I wouldn't put a sport bike muffler on any cruiser, a well-designed 2-into-1 system brings a large displacement V-Twin to life in thrilling fashion. Chopper or not, riders want their bikes to haul-a**, no doubt.

Part of my personal mission with every bike I've had is to find those options and accessories that allow us to get the most out of the performance capabilities of the machine, enjoy them under a variety of circumstances and situations whether that be stop-light drags or interstate rides, and never lose the original spirit of the motorcycle.

Tried to make the most of our last bike, the Meanie - all the accessories could be added or removed from the bike in under 5 minutes.

As a hot rod


As a 2-up distance rig
Hey Luke that gravel pile is the best back ground Ive ever seen. Could you send me about 20 tons for my picts.LOL ;D ;D ;D :wave:
That Meanie is dynomite. Jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Coyote: you're right Easy Rider is Hollywood and so is OCC. I used them as chopper looking bike examples. Aesthetically I find the chopper style more appealing with a clean stripped down look and I would not like them with whitewall tires and a bunch of horns and lights.


NJ Raider: the bike in the pictures looks like it can handle the accessories without looking out of place. But, then I am an expert in style ;D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,178 Posts
busajack said:
Hey Luke that gravel pile is the best back ground Ive ever seen. Could you send me about 20 tons for my picts.LOL ;D ;D ;D :wave:
That Meanie is dynomite. Jack
Damn, now you're in my little secret - the department of public works has a lot near the house, with a massive gravel pile that provides the best backdrop for bike photos. Of course, April-May, they're filling in all the pot holes from winter, so the pile's gone...

Mean Streak certainly was dynomite, I loved that bike...and then something called "Raider" happened and lit a whole new fuse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Poetsaint said:
Coyote: you're right Easy Rider is Hollywood and so is OCC. I used them as chopper looking bike examples. Aesthetically I find the chopper style more appealing with a clean stripped down look and I would not like them with whitewall tires and a bunch of horns and lights.


NJ Raider: the bike in the pictures looks like it can handle the accessories without looking out of place. But, then I am an expert in style ;D
I aggree with you on the clean look as the good looking. If I came across kind of gruff and grumpy, I am coming down with the flu so I ain't thinking real good. :)

But since you mentioned whitewalls, take a look at this bike from Speed City Cycles. It's a Roadstar called Knucklebuster. I wanted to do that if I had kept my Roadie. http://www.speedcitycycle.com/images/customcruisers/kb_fullside_lg.jpg

and NJ, like I said I'm coming down with the flu. I looked at the pic with the shield and bads and thought "Man, the ol Raider looks good with bags." I think I need to sign off and go to bed for a while.

Later

Coyote
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
53 Posts
Each to his own style and design. This bike can be what ever you make it. I plan on adding bags, wind shield, touring seat and bar for when i ride long distance. Then for example, this weekend i went to Motorcycle Madness and kept bike as a chopper style, while wearing a half helmet. BTW I did not see any other raiders at the event. Thats what great about this bike, it can be modified for every style of riding. It has power, very comfortable for me, torque and I love it. I cant wait for some long runs with my bags, wind shield and a sexy passenger. Wish I could afford other bikes like Hayabusa and long distance touring bike , but I cant, so the raider can do it all. My thoughts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
my 4 cents are is that if you don't like a windshield or 2 into 1 on your Raider then don't put them, but you sure as hell ain't gonna tell me what to put or not put on my bike.
I've got both the tall windshield and the 2 into 1 hardkrome and whoever don't like me having them on my bike, then they know what to do with their own middle finger.

some people....

GC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
go gc raider its your bike you do what you want. :beer3: I did. I went with blvd shield mortons pipes no passanger seat removed the side shields going with ghost brackets to put hard bags on for the comute but off for bike night. Next is led deco lights to show off bike at bike night. Not to :bash: the thread starter but what did you think would happen. I didnt by a OCC theme bike I bought a yamaha they build it I make it my own Raider
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Well, I for one sure as hell could not afford an OCC bike. But if I could, I would probably look for a winshield that I thought would look good on it.
I'm sorry, but I guess I'm an ignorant SOB. I didn't know what the protocol was when I bought my Raider.
And to tell you the truth, I couldn't care less if a Rocker or Sporster owner put whatever the hell they wanted to put on their damn bike. It's their money, their bike. Ain't it?????
And if because I installed a windshield and 2 into 1 pipes I bought the wrong bike what is the right bike?????

Again, some people.......

GC
 
G

·
If I had money to burn, I'd need a bigger garage for all the bikes I'd have.
The Raider would be my choice for my around town cruiser.
I'd probably have a Stratoliner or Royal Star for longer trips, maybe even a Gold Wing!
I might pick up the New VMax for a sprinter, and maybe that Can-Am 3-wheeler just for fun!
But I don't have money to burn.
I'm very happy with the Raider just as it is.
BUT, in the future, I plan to have a quick release backrest for when I need it, and a quick release switchblade windshield for when I want it, and maybe even some bags.
Nice that all these things are quick on, quick off for your needs that day!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I strongly disagree about the windshield. Anyone who's has been on a long ride -- I mean many days and thousands of miles -- can testify that a windshield is a "neck-saver"! Ever see older 'Harley types' that can't turn their heads without moving their feet -- that's why!

Mr. Max
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
826 Posts
Pretty Much what Vintage said is my stance on this exactly. Gotta have a windshield for those long hauls, it makes everything so much nicer and is a lot less work. But I don't want it on 80% of the time thats why this quick release stuff is awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Hey Poet,
I said the same thing. A windshield doesn't belong on this bike. Then I rode it fast and thought again about the highspeed times I need to take that wind off my chest and head simply for riding comfort and so I don't wear myself out fighting the wind buffeting.
Bottom line is you're right and yet at times we need a wind break.
AS for pipes! THis bike was born for hot pipes no matter what they look like but yes the Morton's so far have the style where it needs to be. If V&H or some other main line pipe builder doesn't get off their back side I'm driving to North Carolina in July and will pick up a set of pipes from Doug Morton.
Best,
Ken
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top