MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know there's been a little discussion on drilling the factory pipes, but more than just a couple of people must have done this...maybe you did it until you got an aftermarket set? So can anyone offer any further advice? I think the stock pipes look awesome, but damn they're quiet. What about hole diameter and number of holes, how it affects performance, do we need to worry that it will defeat any functionality of the exhaust?

I will pay big money* for videos and sound clips.

*absoultely untrue.

·
Registered
267 Posts
daveu said:
I will pay big money* for videos and sound clips.

*absolutely untrue.
You can pay me the money for the information. Ask NJ to send you his video. It sounds awesome.

·
Registered
38 Posts
go to fatbikes homepage click on the tab that sez exhaust mod I went strait to the last one and pulled the baffles sounds great and did not mess up anything, but I really dont like the looks of the stock exhaust so I'm getting my swepts in 2marrow so I could save you some time and sweat I'll trade my mufflers that have been moded for ones that have not been drilled you could call me they have to sound better over the phone than on here! depending on where you are at I could meet you somewhere to trade (I travel alot) I'm in Tulsa OK.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Why so hesitant to do anything? Just get out the drill! It doesn't really matter if it's four 3/4" holes or eight 1/2" holes or what ever. Just drill some holes until it sounds better for you. I did nine 1/2" and it sounds much better than before. I'm waiting on the V&H Big Radius 2-into 1 due out around July 1st.

·
Registered
326 Posts
if it didnt work you might not have gone deep enough, i dont know about the raider pipes but my v-star had the backplate that you can see and then another on inside about a inch if you dont drill threw both the sound wont ghange

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AO, can you elaborate? This will be my first mod, and I don't want to screw things up. I thought only the plate at the end of the pipe was drilled - are you saying i need to hit something further in? If so, do you have any idea how much further?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Dave I did 4 3/4 in holes on mine...... there is a thicker plate right behind the first black plate. The black one is for looks only. Its ok just drill both through. It makes a vast improvement to the sound. It is going to take me awhile till I make a decision on which pipes to buy.

·
Registered
326 Posts
daveu all you have to do is lay out where you want your four holes, center punch them so your bit doesnt walk around, start with a fairly small bit to make a pilot hole and work your way up to 1/2 or 3/4 as you drill you can start it up every now and then to check the sound, what i was saying about the to plates is no big deal if youll drill till the bit bottoms out you will have can threw every thing you need to drill threw

G

·
Okay, I'm convinced! I bought a 3/4" drill bit today. Gonna drill them tomorrow!
Have some smaller bits for some gradually increasing pilot holes.
I want to do the same 4 holes at 3/4" like the picture Coyote posted.

(Funny, I bought my bike at "Coyote Motorsports!)

I'm gonna try to get a few pictures of it as I progress,
and hopefully I'll be able to figure out my digital camera for a video to hear the sound before and after!
I'll post those if I figure out how to do that!

Wish me luck! I'm a decent graphic designer, but I'm no mechanic!
(doesn't look too difficult though, thanks for all the input on this board!)

(Of course mine will now sound better and still be faster since it's the Red "S")

Typical Colorado weather. Today was only 56 and windy as hell. Tomorrow, (Sunday) is suppose to be 74 and mild!
So......... I plan on riding loud!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Vintage...

Good idea... lot's of pictures and step-by-step instructions.

Then maybe I'll get the nerve to do mine.... ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts