MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with Mike from Cobra Engineering... Cobra's Fi2000R O2 requires that you turn the red ignition switch to RUN before starting the bike every time to ensure that the Fi2000R O2 is working properly.

Are there any issues with leaving the switch in the RUN position 24/7 and just using the key to turn the bike on and shut it off?

I'm a pretty technical guy... but for the last 8 years i've been: KEY ON, IGNITION RUN, START BIKE ----> IGNITION OFF, KEY OFF.

It's a bit strange for me to now just start to: KEY ON, START BIKE -----> KEY OFF.

I know the ignition switch is more of a failsafe than anything else... because it's far easier to cut the bike off with the flip of a switch right by your finger than it is to let go of the handlebars and reach for a key... Thoughts?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have always know that as the kill stitch. When riding sport bikes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've always used the key instead of the kill switch...regardless of the bike...roadstar, FJR, Goldwing and now Raider. If you can get past the habit, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I never use the switch either, as a matter of fact when others take my scoot and turn that swict off I always have a second of WTF when I can start it. Then I start checking for in gear kickstand down and then when all that is ok i look and go "oh sh!t I am an idiot" but it happens like that everytime.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The only time I use the switch is if I want lights to stay on after turning off the engine (if I'm stopped near traffic). Otherwise I always use the key................no problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I WAS TOLD TO LEAVE THE SWITCH ON AND ONLY USE THE KEY. I DID THIS FOR 47000 MILES ON MY ROADSTAR AND 3200 ON THE RAIDER WITH NO PROPLEMS. I WAS TOLD THAT THIS WAS THE WAY TO DO IT WITH A FUEL PUMP THAT WILL STAY ON WITH THE SWITCH OFF AND THE KEY ON.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've always been told AND thought of the switch as more of an emergency shut-off, or, like Madcruzer I use it to kill the engine and leave the light on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts