MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K&N+drilled airbox+Cobra swepts+Stock ECU.....guys....I am was thinking of running the before mentioned combo. Is anyone running anthing similiar? How is it working if so? The reason I am asking as I have exhausted (no pun intended ;D) my spare funds for the moment, so I cannot pickup any aftermarket fuel management system at the moment. I Have the pipes and will be putting them on sat. but was wondering should I wait to dop in the filter and drill the airbox untill I get a fule management system? Or will the stock ECU compensate enough to keep it running right?

Thanks for any input.

Cheers,

~AA

The road to hell is paved....so ride it.!

·
Registered
326 Posts
ive heard that exhaust by itself is no prob but with an airfilter you should get a programmer, me personally i think it will run ok till you can get your funds up, i believe it was nj that told me that the stock raider cpu has a much wider band than most motorcycle comps so it has more room to adjust when you do mods like what your doing ;D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Evil - I'm pretty much doing the same thing with my bike.

I have all the parts here (K&N, Swepts and Fi2000R O2). Pipes is OK without an after-market fuel controller... however - opening up that intake with a K&N and drilled box will make a LOT more air come in.

As it is - our bikes run LEAN right from the factory - increasing the airflow would more than likely lean out the bike to the point where it gets too hot to even leave it run at idle for a minute or two. You're going to need a fuel controller even if you just throw in a K&N without any box modifications.

Also - the K&N flows only from top and bottom - the sides are completely sealed. Drilling the sides won't increase any airflow seeing as how you'd be exposing nothing but K&N rubber. Drilling the bottom CAN work - however that's a direct feed into the intake - that air will NOT be filtered.

The only other option is the TOP of the box - which is directly underneath the fuel tank (the whole thing has to come off to get to the filter).

I will be modifying the stock cover for my air box. Be careful as not to cut into the grooves - the top is sectioned off. Cutting into the grooves will weaken the integrity of the cover - thusly putting less pressure on the filter itself - possibly causing the filter to not seal properly - which may result in unwanted contagions entering the manifold.

I'll just be drilling monstrous holes around the grooves of the cover to be sure it still seals properly. You will need to leave some meat on the cover but extra airflow is always a good time.

I'll be installing the Cobra Swepts, Fi2000R O2 and K&N with modified box next Wednesday or Thursday - I'll be sure to post pictures of the procedure as well as the fuel curve for the Fi2000R O2 after doing some test runs.

Remember - NEVER cut corners because you have insufficient funds - just wait - it will work out far better in the long run and you won't risk ruining anything in the process.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK thanks hella loads yall for the help...I'll just change the pipes and yank the baffles leaving the airbox alone for now untill I get the fuel management system.....If anyone sees an issue with me pulling the baffles other than reducing a bit of back pressure, please let me know...I'm in the garage now pulling the pipes now.....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Erm... I'd keep the baffles in... up to you tho. More torque means quicker acceleration from slow rolls, etc.

Pulling the baffles would increase airflow (and make it sound 10x louder, lol) which would increase your top end horsepower - great if you want to get up and move at expressway speeds where the added horsepower would be a benefit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.