MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Did some countryside riding. I filled up last night and with 278 miles on the clock I averaged 48.5 mpg. Average speed was roughly 65, sometimes topping out 70 and 60 on the bottom. I noticed that my mileage has been increasing everytime I fill up. I figure by the time the engine breaks-in after 1000 miles, I should be in the 50's. Does anybody have any input?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I only have approx 350 miles on my clock (less than a week old mind you;D). Mostly 65 mph riding and easy on the throttle.

But so far I have only been getting 110 - 120 miles per tank which ain't too good in my book

Hopefully it improves as it breaks in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Apro4x4 said:
Hi everyone,

Did some countryside riding. I filled up last night and with 278 miles on the clock I averaged 48.5 mpg. Average speed was roughly 65, sometimes topping out 70 and 60 on the bottom. I noticed that my mileage has been increasing everytime I fill up. I figure by the time the engine breaks-in after 1000 miles, I should be in the 50's. Does anybody have any input?
Every tank so far has been between 46 and 47.5 completely stock. Added the Cobra Swepts and figured it might change one way or the other and its still 47 mpg. I liked the mileage and engine so much, I went out and bought a roadliner to have for trips.
Just turned 1000 miles on the Raider.
Cliff

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have about 1600 on mine its totally stock. I commute everyday 25 miles each way and get about 42 mpg's. I did get about 47 on a freeway trip to Sacramento.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have almost 1,000 miles on my bike and have consistently averaged 37-38 mpg. My V-Max averages about 35 mpg after 20,000 miles. I have no idea how you guys are getting such high figures! I've never gone more than about 140 miles on a tank.

Mr. Max

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mr.Max said:
I have almost 1,000 miles on my bike and have consistently averaged 37-38 mpg. My V-Max averages about 35 mpg after 20,000 miles. I have no idea how you guys are getting such high figures! I've never gone more than about 140 miles on a tank.

Mr. Max
Maybe once you get some more miles on 'er, mines got 4900 miles now. Today I ran 106 miles (no, light did not come on) topped off with 2.47 gallons....=42.9149MPG. Was lower before breakin.

·
Registered
16 Posts
200 miles on a tank! Sorry, but I don't believe it. Based on a thread on another site with many more posts re/mpg gotten on the Raider -- the avg. appears to be 35-40 mpg with normal driving (freeway and town occasionally jamming the throttle). This seems more realistic to me. After 1,000+ miles and 7 tanks I've averaged 37.2 mpg. Anybody averaging over 40 mpg is a very conservative rider -- which is fine -- just not much fun!!

Mr. Max

·
Registered
530 Posts
Mr.Max said:
200 miles on a tank! Sorry, but I don't believe it. Based on a thread on another site with many more posts re/mpg gotten on the Raider -- the avg. appears to be 35-40 mpg with normal driving (freeway and town occasionally jamming the throttle). This seems more realistic to me. After 1,000+ miles and 7 tanks I've averaged 37.2 mpg. Anybody averaging over 40 mpg is a very conservative rider -- which is fine -- just not much fun!!

Mr. Max
LOL.. How about adding "for me" at the end of your rant. If you can't enjoy a nice leisurely ride then maybe you should be on a crotch rocket instead of a cruiser. No matter how aggressive you think you are on a raider, it's leisurely to a crotch rocket. I get 45mpg and I don't ride slow or like an idiot either. I ride within the bikes limits for the most part. Of course not all Raiders will be exactly the same, where do you live, elevation, temperature, type of oil, highways or back roads, do you get on it at every single red light? There are alot of other factors here besides riding style. I think 200mi is possible, it may be a stretch to average that over more than 1 tank but it is possible if conditions are right.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Behave most of the time, show out some also. Been averaging between 48 to 52 per tank. Went on a road trip a few weeks ago and obeyed the speed limit and got 59 mpg. Guess it just depends on how you ride........... TS

·
Registered
220 Posts
I wonder why such a large disparity in the mileage. It's almost like you're looking at two different bikes with some in the mid to high 30's and the others in the mid to high 40's. I know we all ride differently and in different environments but unless those guys with the lower numbers are always heavy on the throttle I don't understand why the app. 10 mpg difference. I don't consider myself to be overly conservative. I've got about 3600 miles and have always gotten that mid to high 40's. I like to get on the throttle as much as anyone else and open her up quite frequently....but I don't constantly race from red light to red light in town. Maybe the Red is more aerodynamic. ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Are you guys talking about mpg for the reason to get the most bang for your buck at the pump? If you bought this bike for its fuel economy then you wasted your money, you should have bought a scooter instead. My truck gets about 10 mpg so I don't care what my bike gets since its gonna be better. I bought it for the looks and power.

At this point it takes about $85 to fill the truck up and $15 for the bike but the bike is more fun. So Im just glad it has a fuel gauge to let me know when to fill up.

Don't worry about mpg. Worry about which accessory your gonna bolt on to her.

·
Registered
100 Posts
well i like the throttle as much as the next person but now i'm getting mid 40's before when my coil wires were crossed it was mid 30's that might be some of the reason i also live in florida that might help but 59!! thats unreal go for you if it stays that way.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts