MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure several people have done their 1st service (600 miles). Can I ask these following questions?

What is exactly involved with the 1st service? What do they check during the 1st service, Pls list all?
Is there any charge for the 1st service or would that be covered under service warranty?

Thanks every one for their input. Looking forward to read every one input.
Thanks.

P. S. I am in a process to buy the service manual. Does any one know if that comes on the CD or DVD or it is just the Book?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I paid about $160.00 for my 600 mile first in shop check-in. When I went to pick my bike up and did a walk around with the machanic I asked him; "What exactlly did you do that cost so much? Basically he changed the oil and filter and a 100 point inspection of the bike of fluids, loose bolts, nuts, cables and tire pressure. I had to laugh because most 90% of the first inspection was a joke, into I had to pay the bill.

Recommendation: you can save alot of money changing the Oil and Filter yourself, plus it's a good feeling when it's done, you know it's done right.
Have a good day

P.S. on that 100 point inspection of the bike, all was ok but the oil and filter.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Dont forget the transfer case needs to be drained and new gear oil put inas well.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, if there is any way you can post some pictures for the novice people like me to see where everything is and what is it that I have to do, in order for me to do the job myself, I appreciated it.

I am new to motorcycle world, but I am good mechanically with cars. I shouldn't have any problem to take care of my bike myself. I am willing to buy any tools or bike stand necessary to do the job.

I am in process to buy the service manual also. Hopefully that would show me where every things are in this bike and what to do for the schedule maintenance.

Dealer is not Yamaha 5 Star certify. The nearest one is 2 hrs away and is not in a good area of New York (Brooklyn). It would take me 2 hrs to get there and is not guaranteed that they would do a good job, the fact that they don't let me watch when they are working on my bike anyway.
Thanks.

·
Registered
826 Posts
there was another post on here about an easy way to change the transfer case oil without dropping the exhaust you may do a quick search for it. I saved it but it is at home and I am at work.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eian31,
Thanks, I am not in rush, I only have 250 miles on mine and at this rate it probably take me two year to make it 600.. Just kidding... If you get the chance and find it, pls post it. I will look for it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ben, 250 miles. You need to get out and ride my friend. LOL

·
Registered
826 Posts
I had saved this for future reference Here is what I copied from the other post

"I just hit my 600 mile mark on my raider and now its time for the dreaded gear oil
change .
I heard from every one that the pipes must be removed , thats not true i just did mine
and it was easy ,
first off what drain plugs are what , the drain plug is on the side of thetransfer case
hidden behind that ulgy foil crap , so use some pliers and unclip the zip ties,
the drain plug is a t-40 torx,
next is the fill plug this is the big silver plug on the side to remove this i used a
10mm allen that i cut to about 1 1/2 inch and i used a 10mm wrench to turn
now for the little level plug this is the allen bolt under the big fill plug i used a 1/4 inch
socket with a allen made for my drill gun .
so dont remove your pipes . drain the transfer case and plug it back up
now fill with .58 quart sae80 api gl-4 hypoid gear oil (per the owners manual)
fill in the big hole untill the little fill level hole starts to drip .
please pass on this info ."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just had mine done today, I really need to find another stealer.I took the bike to them about two weeks ago complaining about a loose belt or transmission slop and they checked it out and said every thing was fine. So I took it in today 596 miles and watched through the window and they only changed the engine oil and what a surprise the belt need adjusted. So I asked the mechanic about the transfer case oil and he said it didn't need to be changed until 12000 miles so I showed him the owners manual he checked the service manual and sure enough it need changed at 600 miles. They just have no clue What if I wasn't watching It would never been changed So to make a long story short I will be doing it myself from now on so I know its done.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just completed my 600 mile inspection and fluid change. I did not have to remove the pipes although it would have made things alittle quicker. I used 5.1 quarts of yamalube 20w50 and about 1/2 quart of yama final drive oil. just be careful not to overtighten any fasteners and check for leaks afterwords you should be fine. My plugs looked fine and belt tension was right on. No loose hardware to report either. The thing is I saved some money and I am sure the work got done. I am not sure if this voids my warranty though which is something you should consider.

Raven

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well i just tried to do mine, and i guess im going to need to get a motorcycle stand. The bike is too low to work on it with out. Im coming from sport bikes which i had no problems. Oh well :disgruntal_sign:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just completed my 600 mile inspection and fluid change. I did not have to remove the pipes although it would have made things alittle quicker. I used 5.1 quarts of yamalube 20w50 and about 1/2 quart of yama final drive oil. just be careful not to overtighten any fasteners and check for leaks afterwords you should be fine. My plugs looked fine and belt tension was right on. No loose hardware to report either. The thing is I saved some money and I am sure the work got done. I am not sure if this voids my warranty though which is something you should consider.

Raven
I actually just talked to my dealer about this today. I specifically asked him if I could perform the maintenance myself. He said no problem. I asked about the warranty and he said that as long as I serviced the bike with Yamaha lubes (of course) there would be no problem. Just keep the receipts showing that I purchased what was needed. He also quickly threw in there that they would not fix anything that I screwed up. I was shocked to hear this... :roflblack: really.

Anyway... I'll use their overpriced lube to keep them from bangin me if I ever need to go in there for a warranty problem. Because... you know they will. That's what dealers do best.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
You don't even have to use their oil. As long as its meets the standards in your owners manul. Page 8-1:clap2::clap2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts