MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for anyone who has drilled out the exhaust. Have you noticed any backfires from the intake since you drilled out the exhaust? I've had it happen 3 or 4 times (not a lot). It is usually in the 1st 30 minutes of riding.

·
Registered
826 Posts
what does and intake backfire sound like? I have a wierd sound every now and again that is more high pitched and throttle response is really slow for just a second. It is more of a tinny high pitched sound, not sure what it is, but it has happened even when I had no mods on the bike, and happens most when I am at idle at a stoplight and I rev a little bit.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mine does it at very cold temps and low idle when first starting. I have stock exhaust right now and a big air kit on it. I had a fz1 once before I totaled in in a corner that had the same issue untill I removed the exup valve and put on aftermarket exhaust. The exup valve is restricting the exhaust gases and so as the intake and exhaust are open just so slightly at the same time, it causes a slight back fire

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has kind of a woof / popping sound coming from under the tank. I usually get it when I rev the engine or am accelerating. It was real bad on my 01 Roadstar with V & H Pro-pipe HS.

·
Registered
826 Posts
hmmm, you ever laugh at how we describe sounds?? LOL I don't know if that is what mine is doing or not? I am assuming so, but hell I have no idea i would like to hear your woof pop sound to confirm :icon10:

·
Registered
220 Posts
It sounds like those little paper fireworks you throw on the ground... they go "POP" really high pitched like.

Usually from a lean fuel mixture when you twist the throttle really quickly a few times in a row.

I need to up my fuel with my Fi - just did it today on mine.

·
Registered
826 Posts
well I am pretty sure that is what mine is doing too>I will have to get the fuel controller on the way.

·
Registered
220 Posts
eian31 said:
well I am pretty sure that is what mine is doing too>I will have to get the fuel controller on the way.
Mine didn't start popping in the intake/air box until i put the fuel controller on mine - however - the fuel controller does work properly - i need to have mine tuned on a dyno.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Ninja,
Let me know what you find out after you dyno your bike as to what setting on the fuel controller you use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.