MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this may come as a dumb question for most. I've never replaced the grips on a bike. I'll be receiving the Kuryakyn Flame ISO's for my Raider in a couple of days and was wondering if anyone here may be able to give me a "how to" on installing them. I know the left grip is somewhat easy, it's the throttle side I'm nervous about. I looked on the Maintenance and Modification How-To's but didn't find anything. Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

-T

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have the standard ISO's on my bike. The instructions that come with the grips are very helpful. Just unscrew the 2 screws holding on the right side housing. Just be careful removing the cables from the old grip. I didn't have any problems since the bike is so new. Put the cables in the new grip and reasemble. It is fairly easy.
Another piece of advice. When I got my grips the bottle of glue was dried up. You might make sure you have a tube of super glue available. I didn't use enough glue the 1st time (left side came lose going down the highway) so I used about half the tube the 2nd time. It is stuck now!
Also, make sure the handlebar is dry and clean.

Later

·
Registered
826 Posts
and make sure you cover the bike below the grip in case any glue drips out the back side. Can you tell I speak from experience??

·
Registered
640 Posts
The easiest way, if you have access to an air compressor, is to:

Left side:

1. take off bar end
2. Shoot a stream of air betweeb the rubber grip and the handle bar.
3. The rubber will expand and then pull off easily. All you're doing is braking the glue loose.

If you don't have access to an air compressor just take the bar end off, get a sharp blade and cut the rubber grip off.

I haven't changed the grips on my Raider yet but it usually goes like this.

Right side:

1. Tale off bar end
2. Remove the screws that hold the throttle control together.
3. You'll see the throttle cables attached.
4. Get the control in the correct position and you'll be able to get the cables off.
5. Slide the grip assembly off the handle bar.
6. Slide the new grip assembly on and attach the throttle cables.
7. Put everything back together.
8. ** IMPORTANT ** Before you start the bike make sure the throttle turns freely and that it pops back with just the spring. Then turn your handlebars both ways to the fullest and check each side, just to make sure your cables aren't binding.

Someone that's actually done this mod on a Raider might want to chime in here just in case I've missed something that's particular about this bike.

Hope this helps. :icon10:

·
Registered
826 Posts
Looks good to me, it is pretty staright forward, I didn't run into anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the assist guys. Seems like it should go pretty smooth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you want to install the counterweights, take off the Iso covers and drill a 1" hole in the in the end. The left counterweight will just screw in. You'll need to make a spacer for the throttle grip. I found a 1/2" (inside diameter) nylon pipe at the hardware store. Used a hacksaw and cut the spacer. Works and looks great. Now this might just be my imagination, but I swear it feels smoother riding with the counterweights than with just the stock Iso's!

Mr. Max

·
Registered
826 Posts
Do you guys ISO grips turn your hands black?

·
Registered
220 Posts
eian31 said:
Mild soap, water, towel... give them a good wash - you'll be fine afterwards. Do the same to the passenger footpegs to get the white crap off of them so they are nice and shiny black (if you haven't already).

TOPIC:

TRU - the grips, since longer than stock, will feel like they wobble a little bit more than the stock ones. The ISO's have the same bore - but due to the extra length - you'll notice it a LOT more.

Simple fix I did: I used the clear cover plastic from a Christmas card package - as it is SUPER thin (washer fluid or milk gallons will be too thick) - i simply cut a 3" length out and matched the width exactly to the inside diameter of the ISO - making sure the two ends met without overlapping.

Then I simply used white lithium grease to lube the inside of the grip - slid the "shim" inside just until it was flush with the grip - lubed the bar with some lithium grease and then slid the sucker on.

Still moves freely without sticking - but now you won't have that "wobble" or looseness in the grip.

I did this mainly because when I take my left hand off the bar when riding - I won't feel like I'm not in control of the bike from the throttle being so loose.

I'm sure you can shim the grips with anything thin - but DO NOT tape the end of the bar with anything. Grease WILL deteriorate the glue on ANY kind of tape and you don't want that stuff getting all over your grip and inside the throttle cables.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mr. Max said:
If you want to install the counterweights, take off the Iso covers and drill a 1" hole in the in the end. The left counterweight will just screw in. You'll need to make a spacer for the throttle grip. I found a 1/2" (inside diameter) nylon pipe at the hardware store. Used a hacksaw and cut the spacer. Works and looks great. Now this might just be my imagination, but I swear it feels smoother riding with the counterweights than with just the stock Iso's!

Mr. Max
Instead of drilling holes in brand new $$$ grips - how about he get the Stilletto end-caps as well? Those weigh about 3/4 as much as the stock bar-end weights and with those installed on the ISO's - you'll get pretty much 0 vibration.

10x better than the stock grips/weights.

Have them installed on mine - they work great and LOOK SICK. (keeps with all the pointy lines of the bike )

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ninja-Matic said:
eian31 said:
Mild soap, water, towel... give them a good wash - you'll be fine afterwards. Do the same to the passenger footpegs to get the white crap off of them so they are nice and shiny black (if you haven't already).

TOPIC:

TRU - the grips, since longer than stock, will feel like they wobble a little bit more than the stock ones. The ISO's have the same bore - but due to the extra length - you'll notice it a LOT more.

Simple fix I did: I used the clear cover plastic from a Christmas card package - as it is SUPER thin (washer fluid or milk gallons will be too thick) - i simply cut a 3" length out and matched the width exactly to the inside diameter of the ISO - making sure the two ends met without overlapping.

Then I simply used white lithium grease to lube the inside of the grip - slid the "shim" inside just until it was flush with the grip - lubed the bar with some lithium grease and then slid the sucker on.

Still moves freely without sticking - but now you won't have that "wobble" or looseness in the grip.

I did this mainly because when I take my left hand off the bar when riding - I won't feel like I'm not in control of the bike from the throttle being so loose.

I'm sure you can shim the grips with anything thin - but DO NOT tape the end of the bar with anything. Grease WILL deteriorate the glue on ANY kind of tape and you don't want that stuff getting all over your grip and inside the throttle cables.
Thanks for the extra info bro. I was thinking of getting the stiletto end caps, but now I definitely will. Thanks again guys! Hey one more thing. How the heck do I get the end caps off of the old grips? Do they unscrew or what?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts