MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, well I have concluded that the ISO dirctions for Kuryakyn pretty much suck so far. I removed the end caps from my grips. Step #2 says to slack cable adjusters but I don't think that applies to us. So step #3 says to carefully remove cable ferrules from the throttle grip and to use needle nose pliers as to not break anything..

Everything I have read so far on other posts no one ever mentions cable ferrules so now I am stuck. I wish kuryakyn would include a diagram of what the hell they are talking about but NO that would be too easy I guess. Here are a few pics if someone could explain in laments terms what I should do next I would appreciate it. Oh and I have already thought about just taking it to the dealer...LOL. I would like to do it myself unless there is a good chance I could really screw something up..

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Slacking the cable adjusters a little bit will definitely help with installation, making it easier to remove the cables from the throttle.

The ferrules are the little metal knobs on the end of the actual cables that sit in the round slots in the grip itself. You'll have to open the right grip housing - 2 phillips head screws - to access the interior of the grip.

It's a lot easier than it sounds.

I have some photos from a magazine article I wrote a couple of years back. Email me l[email protected] and I'll send them to you...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Luke-

I shot ya an email if you'd be willing to let me take a look at those photos as well. I'll be putting on some new grips come tomorrow and could use all the help I can get. Especially if it's a visual aid. Thanks.

-Bronson

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ditto on the visuals Luke!!!

GC

·
Registered
220 Posts
I found the Kury instructions to be just fine - but I've replaced grips before so...

Like NJ says - just open the housing on the right grip by removing the two phillips screws and you're in there like swimwear - just pop the cables out - slide off grip - slide on new grip - cables go back on - housing back together - screws back in and you're golden.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help NJ, I will try it again today.. yesterday I said the hell with it as I was actually sweating from the heat, it was 77degrees here in NH, so I put the caps back on and went on a nice 140mi ride through some gorgeous western Maine and eastern NH back country roads.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK well here I go again.. I took the 2 screws out of the switch housing but cannot get the thumb part of the cover to come off.. I loosened the one screw on the cable facing the front tire and loosed the one facing the rear tire that is right up against the switch housing but that only turned maybe once.. Any ideas??

·
Registered
826 Posts
NH,
sent you a PM if you still need help give me a call

·
Registered
220 Posts
NHRAIDER said:
OK well here I go again.. I took the 2 screws out of the switch housing but cannot get the thumb part of the cover to come off.. I loosened the one screw on the cable facing the front tire and loosed the one facing the rear tire that is right up against the switch housing but that only turned maybe once.. Any ideas??

You see that little plastic piece holding the 2 cable housings together? Yeah... just un-clip one end of that and it should give you more room to pull it apart.

You need to completely remove the screws in order to get it apart (you said you only loosened them).

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally got it on and it will be much easier if I ever do it again. I just wanna thank everyone for their help especially Eian, that was cool bro and I hope to return the favor someday.. If anyone ever needs a hand with this let me know, it's not that bad and will save you $50-$125 that a dealer will charge to do it. :wings:

·
Registered
826 Posts
NHRAIDER said:
I finally got it on and it will be much easier if I ever do it again. I just wanna thank everyone for their help especially Eian, that was cool bro and I hope to return the favor someday..
Hey no prob man, you ever need anything you have my number just give me a call!

·
Registered
100 Posts
i just ordered my grips so what ever info you have to help put them on would be appreciated right side directions seam easy enough what about the left side?

thanks

·
Registered
826 Posts
Easier than the right side!! If you have a air compressor just blow some air inbetween the grip and the bar and that will break the glue loose so you can pull the grip off. If you do not have one just use a razor blade and cut the grip off. After its off make sure you put a towel over the bike b4 you get your death grip out Put enough on to hold the grip but not som much that it runs out the back side of the grip, and your done. Good Luck
it is pretty easy if you have ever replaced grips b4.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For me the left side was much easier than the right. On the left I stuck 2 thin flathead screwdrivers between the grip and bar and worked them all the way around and broke the seal.. however it still would not slide off and when trying to work it off with the screwdrivers one poked through the grip so at that point I broke out the trusty razor knife and sliced the rest of it and just pulled it off.

One tip that I screwed up was I assumed that there was a spacer in each grip so I measured the size I would need for the right side and cut the spacer with a pair of scissors which destroyed the other half of the spacer. Well come to find out there is no other spacer so when you cut your spacer use a razor so you pretty much have two halves when done. I did'nt put a spacer in the left side but so far it has not been a problem.

Any other questions feel free.. I am an expert now :smoking:

·
Registered
826 Posts
You don't need a spacer in the left side because it is held in place with glue so there is no vibration issues to worry about, the spacer that is included is for the right side, but i don't want to correct the expert :icon10: JK man

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
eian31 said:
You don't need a spacer in the left side because it is held in place with glue so there is no vibration issues to worry about, the spacer that is included is for the right side, but i don't want to correct the expert :icon10: JK man
Oh yeah, right, thats what I meant.. :icon_redface:

Actually now that I think about it, the left over spacer would have been way to short anyway.. yeah go ahead and scratch everything I just said about the spacer.. But any other questions on this such as where are the handlebars, or how to tell the right grip from the left grip then I am the man :thumbup:

·
Registered
826 Posts
LOL, I am glad we can poke fun at ourselves on here. That was one of the funnier things I have read in awhile.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rather than open up a whole new topic, I'll say my blurb here.

Thank guys! I just installed my Flame ISO grips today. Whole install time from start to finish took about 30-45 mins (thanks to you guys). You made it really simple. I'll take some pics later and post 'em up. Thanks again!

-B

1 - 19 of 19 Posts