MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, new to the forum. Picking up my raider this weekend, really interested in moving the ignition key lock from the handle bars to the side of the bike similar to a suzuki m109r or honda vtx. Any ideas on how to do this or maybe pros or cons to this ???

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
What's up, Synister?

Welcome to the forums and your latest addiction....

I don't know about moving the existing switch from its location on the triple clamp, or the hole it would leave.

Aftermarket switches w/keys are certainly available, here for example: http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=45CAFDFC-3E25-4E7F-8EB4-C507ABF1F573&search=ignition+switch&store=All&page=1

You could leave the existing switch where it is, even cover it with a cap of some kind, and then re-route the wiring to wherever you wanted to install the new switch. One place might be the "air filter covers" which aren't filters at all, and just cover up some tubing and other stuff between the cylinders.

On the downside, I don't know if Yamaha has any special ignition locks/cutoffs or other electronic features in the stock switch which might cause a problem if you bypass it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info njraider, i know a couple of custom bike builders here in town so i'm going to check with them about moving the stock lock once i get the bike, i want to use the stock keys.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Syn -

had another look at the stock setup, the ignition lock and the housing is actually a separate piece from the upper triple clamp, held on with a couple of hex bolts, so it might be easier to remove and relocate it than I originally thought. I'd remove the lock but leave the housing in place - it's shape compliments the rest of the clamp and hides some wiring as well.

The biggest challenge is finding the new location and re-routing the wiring.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey Syn,
I turned an aluminum spike and mounted a new key into it. When I put my key in the ignition no one can find it.
Even my Star mechanic and the salesmen at the dealership were looking all over the bike for the ignition. Pretty funny.
Looks way cool there in the center of the bars too.
Best,
Ken

·
Registered
326 Posts
check out ebay they have key blanks that are spikes crowns skulls etc. all you would have to do is take it some where and have it cut

1 - 10 of 10 Posts