MBF Motorcycle Forums banner

How to remove baffels from Freedom Performance Sharp Curve Radius

18K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  ndncowboy 
#1 ·
Raidercruz here with a question about the Sharp Curve Radius pipes from Freedom Performance.
Mine are not installed yet. Anyone who has got a set did you remove the baffels? If ya did, could
ya explain the procedure? Are they loud enough that removal would make everyone in the cul de sac
a little annoyed when coming home late? I had the Reaper Tips from Raw Design and liked the sound
of them but expecting a more tuned sound? I saw something in the poor instuctions about the O2
cables being too short for the sharp radius ? Not sure about this but wanted a heads up before I
put them on. I chose the Cobra Auto Tune Pro for fuel management.
Thanks
Raidercruz

#2 ·
FP Sharp Curve Radius O2 bung and baffles

I also bought the FP Sharp Curve Radius pipes and am alarmed and annoyed that the instructions call for splicing and extending the O2 sensor wires. I haven't done it yet and am looking for other options. I've left messages for FP and will share the response if I get one. Obviously, the best option would be for them to provide pipes with the bung in the right spot to accomodate the stock O2 sensor lead. I also am leaning toward no baffles, but don't have a clue how to get them out. Will ask FP that question too.

I went with the Cobra PowerPro tuner as well, but don't have it fully installed yet. Their instructions are very good compared to FP's.

#3 ·
Freedom Performance pipes

I also bought the FP Sharp Curve Radius pipes and am alarmed and annoyed that the instructions call for splicing and extending the O2 sensor wires. I haven't done it yet and am looking for other options. I've left messages for FP and will share the response if I get one. Obviously, the best option would be for them to provide pipes with the bung in the right spot to accomodate the stock O2 sensor lead. I also am leaning toward no baffles, but don't have a clue how to get them out. Will ask FP that question too.

I went with the Cobra PowerPro tuner as well, but don't have it fully installed yet. Their instructions are very good compared to FP's.
I have the Freedom Performance pipes on with the Cobra PowerPro and Barons's Bak...IMHO, you don't need to pull the baffles as it is loud enogh...but, your bike, your call. Yes, the O2 sensor wire is too short for install on pipes but it is an easy fix. Cut and slice high on the wire so you won't see it the splice...use the same gauge wire and use plenty of it to give you the slack for install later. When you slice, make sure your connection is good and use shrink tubing to cover your splice. Easy Breazy!

#5 ·
Freedom Performance Sharp Curve Radius O2 Sensor and Baffles

OK, just talked to Ricardo at Freedom Performance and he was very helpful...

1) O2 Sensor - With regard to the O2 bung being too far forthe stock sensor wire to reach. He said splicing/extending won't cause any problems and that rerouting might be an option for older raiders, but not for newer ones (like my 2010). Apparently Yamaha shortened the wire with successive model years. He said he thought someone was offering an aftermarket extension wire, maybe Cobra, but wasn't sure. He was certain that some vendor developed or is developing an extension kit, but wasn't sure if it was available yet. I also asked why the FRICK they put the stupid bung way up there out of reach and he said because they tested the flow with the sensor more like the stock location and got innacurate readings especially on deceleration because of air getting sucked back into the pipe. I.e., they need the sensor to be that far foward in the pipe to get an accurate reading. The fact there is a good reason for the bung location makes it a little easier to swallow having to splice wires. So I'm gonna see if I can find an extension kit before I start cutting wires.

2) "Removable" Baffles - The standard baffles are not easily removable, they're bent in place right along with the pipe, and spot-welded in. He thinks the standard baffle is plenty loud, but if you really, really want no baffle loudness, you can remove them by taking the pipe out of the heat shield, cutting off the 1/4 inch or so where the welds are, wrestling the baffle out with the help of some lube, and reinserting the pipe into the heat shield. I'm gonna try the standard baffles first. He also pointed out the you lose a lot of backpressure and probably torque by going no-baffle, even with a powerpro tuner.

#9 ·

OK, just talked to Ricardo at Freedom Performance and he was very helpful...

1) O2 Sensor - With regard to the O2 bung being too far forthe stock sensor wire to reach. He said splicing/extending won't cause any problems and that rerouting might be an option for older raiders, but not for newer ones (like my 2010). Apparently Yamaha shortened the wire with successive model years. He said he thought someone was offering an aftermarket extension wire, maybe Cobra, but wasn't sure. He was certain that some vendor developed or is developing an extension kit, but wasn't sure if it was available yet. I also asked why the FRICK they put the stupid bung way up there out of reach and he said because they tested the flow with the sensor more like the stock location and got innacurate readings especially on deceleration because of air getting sucked back into the pipe. I.e., they need the sensor to be that far foward in the pipe to get an accurate reading. The fact there is a good reason for the bung location makes it a little easier to swallow having to splice wires. So I'm gonna see if I can find an extension kit before I start cutting wires.

2) "Removable" Baffles - The standard baffles are not easily removable, they're bent in place right along with the pipe, and spot-welded in. He thinks the standard baffle is plenty loud, but if you really, really want no baffle loudness, you can remove them by taking the pipe out of the heat shield, cutting off the 1/4 inch or so where the welds are, wrestling the baffle out with the help of some lube, and reinserting the pipe into the heat shield. I'm gonna try the standard baffles first. He also pointed out the you lose a lot of backpressure and probably torque by going no-baffle, even with a powerpro tuner.
Question. I really want to remove the baffles too. But don't want to loose the power, torque and all that good stuff. Do you think it just needs time, like to break in a lil. Or maybe just the baffles to be cut in half? Any opinions?

#6 ·
I didn't want to mess with the o2 . I took to my dealer and told him what I wanted. Shop manager likes to play. He extended mine but added a plug up . So now I can unplug my 02 down by frame and not have all that wiring to mess with when installing or removing the 02. Its a lot easlier to unplug their than up top .

I rode with my pipes installed for several days with the o2 pluged off . I never got a error light and didn't really see any loss in performace . I got my extended o2 back and hooked it up and my Cobra Pro same time.

#7 ·

I didn't want to mess with the o2 . I took to my dealer and told him what I wanted. Shop manager likes to play. He extended mine but added a plug up . So now I can unplug my 02 down by frame and not have all that wiring to mess with when installing or removing the 02. Its a lot easlier to unplug their than up top .

I rode with my pipes installed for several days with the o2 pluged off . I never got a error light and didn't really see any loss in performace . I got my extended o2 back and hooked it up and my Cobra Pro same time.
That sounds like a pretty elegant solution and you've eased my mind considerably about both issues - THANKS!

#8 ·
Did you your Raider dynoed for HP and torque numbers?

Was wondering how do your pipes look now and did you get HP?
I have not bought a BAK as I was wondering if a modified airbox with a Ram Air intake
tube to the stock box and a K&N would improve flow enough? Here is a pic of my rear fender
MEDUSA is the theme the eyes have hyper module dual intensity LEDs mounted behind the whites and they have 10 light patterns. What do ya think?
Raidercruz
Head Outerwear Textile Sleeve Flash photography
Eyelash Art Painting Cartoon Black hair
Outerwear Eye Tartan Flash photography Eyelash
Forehead Head Chin Eye Eyebrow

Attachments

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.