MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't scanned all of the posts to see if this has come up before, but does anyone else have the annoying rattle from the headlight bezel at mid to upper RPM's? What, if anything, have you done to eliminate it? Is it an issue to take to the dealer, or should I proceed with one of the ideas I have for a fix?

Everything I have read from you guys so far has been fantastic and infinitely helpful. Any thoughts, tips, suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have the same rattle. i've tried to tighten it down, but it still rattles. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Haven't experienced the rattle myself, so anything I say here is purely in the realm of conjecture...

Are you sure it's from the bezel and not inside the bucket itself? If I'm not mistaken, there are some connectors inside the light (for wiring running lights, etc) that might be hitting the inside of the assembly...

·
Registered
258 Posts
What NJ said...also someone put a thin strip of duck tape around the bucket, then put bezel on over tape, tightened and that fixxed his issue.
My money is on the connectors inside....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have to check that out. I am leaning towards the bezel due to it being relatively loose when I grab it with my hand. I have gently tightened the 2 screws to see if that helped, but no dice. I was goint to pull the assembly apart and apply either duct or electrical tape to any edges that might be the cause. Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the rattle. As a matter of fact if you hit the headlight can with your palm (don't beat it to hard) you could hear what you hear when in the higher rpm's.... Had a similar problem with the roadstar. Now what I've done is put a small thin piece of rubber insulation on the hook (top center of the bezel) to take up some slack in the housing. Additionally, a piece of bubble wrap around the connectors that are just laying in there. Wrap them up, put a rubberband or wire tie around it to keep the bubble wrap on. Much better that way. Of course as others have said, just get louder pipes and you will never know!
Cliff

·
Registered
826 Posts
cdv53 said:
Of course as others have said, just get louder pipes and you will never know!
Cliff
But Cliff,
My neighbors already hate me, everytime I start my bike its sets of their car alarm. Everytime it happens I giggle my a$$ off, what is the point of that thing anyway. It goes off so many times nobody even looks at it anyway.

But to the point of this thread, I had the same problem and it was the housing not the connectors but I did much like cliff and packed the enclosure with bubble wrap and have had no probs since.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Cobra slashdowns with no baffles :icon10:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Jocal,

I have the same problem, same issue on my former '02 Road Star. Loud pipes, covered up the noise, but I still heard it rattle, so I did the tape thing. Of course, my dealer informed me today that my Raider's coil wires were reversed, and I had complained about the bike running rough, so I was hoping by fixing the wires it would run smoother and NOT rattle, but that's probably just wishful thinking on my part! I only hear the headlight under hard acceleration. I tightened the already tight screws, to no avail.

Tape it and be done with it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
What would I do with out you guys?

Today I heard the same annoying rattle. I thought I was just hearing things. So after reading this post, and taped on a headlight bezel, and of course that's what it was.

Thanks a lot guys.

VB

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad it wasn't just my imagination..... Went home at lunch and pulled the assembly apart. There is a TON of free play at the "hook" at the top of the can. I took a piece of 3/4" electrical tape, rolled it into a tube (adhesive side out so it stays in place) and placed it in bottom of the hook on the bezel. Reassembled everything, hauled ass around the neighborhood and the only buzz I got was from riding a kick ass hunk of rollin' attitude!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
is that what it is i couldnt figure it out it was driving me nuts thanks for the tip!!!mike aka big blue 113!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts