MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity... has anyone removed the tank yet to gain access to the air box?

If so - any special notes? tools? fasteners? etc?

If no one has - does anyone know a location online of some diagrams or service manual?

Thanks!

·
Registered
326 Posts
its really not that bad but it took me about an hour to get it off the first time went back on in half the time, take a flat head screw driver and close the valves under the seat, then pull the two bolts under the seat that go to the tank. then pull the resurve fuel tank cover on the left side of the bike off and take the hose clamps and hose off the fuel pump. then pull the chrome piece off the top off the tank there will be three plugs under that to unplug, then pull the metal cover off of the steering lock and there will be two alen head bolts under it that you pull. then you can raise the tank gently and there will be a small 1/4" hose to pull off on the front right side under the tank. and i believe thats it the tank should lift off, it will reset your trip a & b and the clock, have fun ;D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ninja, I agree with everything AO said but..... doing it that way might get some gas spillage. My tank is off right now and what I did was run the bike till the low fuel light came on (empty tank on reserve). Remove the two screws under the seat. Take off the speedo assembly, unplug the connectors and tank vent hose, remove the plate at the front of the tank to expose the two additional screws holding the tank. Now the tricky part...... two hoses under the tank with clamps that look like use once/crimped on BUT with a small screwdriver they pop right off and are reuseable (but I'm thinking stainless screw types for reinstallation). To get off those clamps you need to tilt the tank back to get at them but doing it that way, you will not have any gas spillage.... and a lighter tank to deal with.
Cliff

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ninja-Matic said:
Just out of curiosity... has anyone removed the tank yet to gain access to the air box?

If so - any special notes? tools? fasteners? etc?

If no one has - does anyone know a location online of some diagrams or service manual?

Thanks!
If your still looking for info from the service manual let me know & I can e-mail the pages to you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I removed the tank recently to install an alarm system. Take off the rider's seat. There are (2) nuts near the front of the rider's seat that mount the tank then (2) bolts underneath the fork lock shield. Remove the fork lock shield with a metric hex head, (I can't recall the size...) and presto you are there. Lift up and there are (3) wire connector harnesses to the instrumentation panel and (1) fuel vent toward the front. Also there are (2) fuel lines on the bottom of the tank if you need to remove (I did not). I placed a towel between the bike and the ground and flipped the tank topside facing out and down. I had all the room I needed to get the job done. When putting it all back together, be careful not to pinch one of the fuel lines which must line up in the center of the frame to fit correctly. Also there are (3) wire connector harnesses do not forget to reattach all of them before mounting the tank. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts