MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at GPS devices. The ones made just for motorcycles are a little pricey. I want something I can put on the bike for the long trips and also put in my truck. Not to worried about it being waterproof, just need something simple that I can mount to the bike. Does anybody have any recommendations? Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
123 Posts
brian4bes said:
I've been looking at GPS devices. The ones made just for motorcycles are a little pricey. I want something I can put on the bike for the long trips and also put in my truck. Not to worried about it being waterproof, just need something simple that I can mount to the bike. Does anybody have any recommendations? Thanks

Brian
Hey Brian,

I use a Garmin GPS MAP76C and a Garmin GPS MAP60CSX. These are not as expensive as the dedicated motorcycle GPS units and can be carried in a jacket pocket too. Although they are intended for marine use, mounting brackets are avaialble for motorcycle/automotive use too.

Also, I have a GISTEQ which is a GPS device that synchronises with a digital camera, and with the bundled software allows you to build photo-maps of your road trips - see http://www.ride-asia.com 'Motorcycle Photo Tours' for an example.

Cheers, Scooter

·
Registered
219 Posts
Brian,

I have the TomTom 720. I have not tried mounting it on the motorcycle. For now I just carry it with me and review my route info at fuel stops.

Last multi day trip we had one rider low on fuel in the middle of no-where, along a stretch of highway we had never ridden. Turned on the GPS, find POI for gasoline and got there fine.

Works pretty well for itiniary planning, but it took some trial and error to figure out the best way to put a long, multi stop trip together.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a Magellan Meridian Color. It's about 3 or 4 years old and does the job OK. It has a removable memory card which makes it a lot faster to upload the detailed maps of the areas you are going to be traveling in. It has a map of North America built in that doesn't have a lot of the smaller roads and highways. I had to by the software for the detailed maps. That was like $100. What I don't like about Magellan is they seem to discontinue products and software rather quickly. If (when) I get another GPS I'll probably not get a Magellan for that reason. With the amount of money I invested in the unit and the software, I would like to be able to add the detailed maps for more then 2 or 3 years. (The software does not work with XP SP2.) I would like the Garmin that has the satellite weather capability but the money ain't there right now.

Later

Coyote

P.S. You might rethink the water proof part since water at 70 or 80 can get into the gear, even behind a windshield. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
raider113 said:
Brian,

I have the TomTom 720. I have not tried mounting it on the motorcycle. For now I just carry it with me and review my route info at fuel stops.

Last multi day trip we had one rider low on fuel in the middle of no-where, along a stretch of highway we had never ridden. Turned on the GPS, find POI for gasoline and got there fine.

Works pretty well for itiniary planning, but it took some trial and error to figure out the best way to put a long, multi stop trip together.
I can recommend the RAM mounts. They are solidly build and rather inexpensive.

http://www.ram-mount.com/

Later

Coyote

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've found a couple that I think would work. The TOMTOM one 3rd Edition or the Garmin nuvi 200. Can get either for about $150 new. I'll just have to come up with a mount, shouldn't be to hard. I've spent my time riding in the rain and don't do it as much as I used to. I still carry a couple ziplock bags in my tool pouch for my wallet and cell phone. So when I say I'm not to worried about it being waterproof, well thats just a chance I'm willing to take. Trying to make it multi use and keep it cheap. Has anybody used either of these?

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.