MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been tossing the idea around for a month or so. Well, tonight I was doing a little check up on the bike getting ready for a big ride this weekend. My belt tention guage came in the mail just in time. I needed to tighten it up a bit, what a pain in the a$$. I had to unbolt the pipes from the rear supporting bracket and pull the pipes away from the swing arm. Then had to stick a small block behind the pipes so they would stay where I needed them. I had just enough from to get the 27MM socket in there. Even after doing this, I could hardly get an open end wrench in to make the adjustments. It took me almost 30 minutes to do a 5 minute job. A bit of an oversight on my part, should have thought of that before ordering the pipes.
I am not complaining about the quality of the pipes in any way. They look and sound good. I had thought about cutting a bit of the length off, trying to achive a bit of a more custom look out of my exhaust. My mind is made up. I'll post some picks if anybody is interested. Also, thought some of you guys and ladies(2) might like to know about what it takes to do this "little" service to your machine if you have long straight exhaust.

Brian

·
Registered
373 Posts
Brian, What is the process of tightening the belt. I need to do mine. And where did you get your gauge?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On page 6-20 of the owners manual. At 10 lbs of pressure the belt should move .30 inches - .51 inches.
If you have the chrome lower belt guard, you won't be able to see the marks. Use a calibrated eye or make small marks in the window of the chrome belt guard with a sharpy. Loosen the 27mm nut a couple turns. On each side there is a tension bolt with a nut. Loosen the nut a couple turns. Turn the tension bolt in equal amounts on each side using the marks as a gauge. Recheck the belt tension often, keep checking and tightening until you reach the desired tension. As you are making your adjustments, check the pulley to see if the belt is riding in the middle. I have a dirt bike/ATV jack that I use to raise the rear of the bike a little. Turn the wheel a few times. If the belt rides to one side, make adjustments until you get the right tension and the belt rides in the middle of the pulley. Once you are happy, tighten the tension bolts and nuts. Then tighten the 27mm nut. Recheck your tension again. The tension shouldn't change, but if you had the nut too loose it might throw you off a little.
I got the gauge from Motion Pro, item # 08-0350 ($28.50). I don't remember how much the Yamaha gauge was, but this one does the same thing and is cheaper. Glad my stealer didn't have any in stock when I went there.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Sounds like prior to installing this type of exhaust it would be a good idea to reverse the axle. The small adjustment screws would still be tough to access but at least the socket could be used from the left side.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point Mad, turning the axle bolt around is a good idea. Still the worst part was trying to turn the adjustment bolt and nut.

I think I'm gonna cut about 6 or 7 inches off the top pipe, just behind the support bracket. The bottom will be cut to the same length, different measurement. I plan to turn the end caps 1/4 out. So the end result will be that the pipes are equal in length and instead of having the slashdown look, the bevel in the end caps we face away from the bike.

Should have it done by next weekend, bike has to wait for now.

Brian

·
Registered
211 Posts
NHRAIDER said:
Cool if thats goes smoothly I was thinking I would like to get the Cobra dragsters and cut the top pipe to make it the same length as the bottom. I did'nt think it could be done though.
I would be careful with cutting one pipe shorter. It will unbalance the backpressure from cyl #1 to cyl #2 and can cause bad performance issuses.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The difference between the pipes is only 1.75 inches. Do you really think it is gonna change the back pressure enough to notice. I appreciate your concern, and always welcome input. I am no expert, I just have a hard time believing there will be any noticeable change. Any more thoughts out there?

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
211 Posts
to quote ( NHRaider: I was thinking I would like to get the Cobra dragsters and cut the top pipe to make it the same length as the bottom.)

This is what my previous post was aimed at. Not the slash downs. Good luck. Ride hard.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh I see, sorry bout that. I don't think I would cut that much from only one pipe. It might work though.

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts