MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some trouble understanding what the deal is with the fuel gauge. It seems like I'm filling it up...the gauge almost gets to F, but when it gets down pretty close to E I can only get about 2.5 gallons in. Anybody else notice this? How close should the gas be to the top of the opening when I fill it up? I have about 325 miles on it right now if that matters.

Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
taxman702 said:
I'm having some trouble understanding what the deal is with the fuel gauge. It seems like I'm filling it up...the gauge almost gets to F, but when it gets down pretty close to E I can only get about 2.5 gallons in. Anybody else notice this? How close should the gas be to the top of the opening when I fill it up? I have about 325 miles on it right now if that matters.

Thanks.
Hey Taxman,

I'm not sure that fuel gauge is too accurate. But there is a back up measure:

There is a low fuel warning light that indicates when you go on to 'reserve'. This will also trigger the 'reserve fuel' trip meter to show how many miles you have traveled since you went on to 'reserve'. I think you have about 0.8 gallons in the 'reserve' tank which I guess equates to approximately 25-30 miles - get to a gas station quickly, running out of fuel is not recommended on any vehicle, especially a fuel injected one!

Cheers,

Scooter

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just accept the fact that when starting on a full tank, I am going to watch that needle drop pretty quickly, but when it gets close to the Empy mark, it seems to run a long time before the reserve light comes on.And when the reserve light does come on, you still have quite a bit of leeway before filling it up.So far I have run mine from fill to empty in approximately 160 miles. That's not even going muuch into reserve.I figure that is around 40 MPG. Not bad for a big engine

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have the same problem. Iget about 120 miles before the needle on the guage is setting on E ! Had the dealer check it out and they said everything was fine the gauge was just slow to respond do to the shape of the tank. If it was slow I would think it would trip the fuel light before it hit E not after.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have put 22 miles on the reserve b4, mostly just because I wanted to see how far I could go for peace of mind sake. I still made it to the station after 22 miles. Which is good cause pushin your bike to the station is embarassing!! :icon_redface:

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've filled mine up a few times and noticed it has the same problem that my V-Star had. It takes a while for the fuel to fill up that last bit since the tanks gets an air pocket in it.

Step 1. Fill it up till it reaches the fill neck and stops the nozzle.
Step 2. Slowly keep squeeze the nozle to squirt a little more in.
Step 3. Wait till level goes down.
Step 4. Repeat Steps 2 & 3 over and over again.
Step 5. When the level in the neck stops dropping your full.

·
Registered
826 Posts
And one of these will help you get every drop into the tank. Take a look they are great!
http://www.mccuff.com/

·
Registered
562 Posts
gravestarr said:
I have the same problem. Iget about 120 miles before the needle on the guage is setting on E ! Had the dealer check it out and they said everything was fine the gauge was just slow to respond do to the shape of the tank. If it was slow I would think it would trip the fuel light before it hit E not after.
I believe the low fuel light is more accurate because it comes on when the main tank is completely empty. The reserve is a seperate tank. No matter how accurate or inaccurate the gauge for the main tank is the fuel light will come on once the main tank is dry.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That fuel funnel thingy seems like a good idea, but where the heck would you keep that thing on your way to the gas station...won't fit in my pocket.

·
Registered
826 Posts
it comes with a pouch that you can hook to your belt. They work well, its really not so much a funnel as much as it is a cap so no gas spills and you can get the spout up out of the tank some so you get fuller fills with out spilling or splatter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts