MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
??? Today after about 10 minutes of riding my fuel gage dropped from just over half a tank to about 1/8 th of a tank. I kept riding and eventually it crept back to 1/2 of a tank. I have no idea why so I thought I would post it on the board so we can all watch out for it. The bike itself is running sweet with 740 miles on it.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Raven I have not expeienced your problem however what Massraider is describing has happened to me several times and it just really depends as to when it registers but I can tell you it is not instant by any means.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mass that is normal according to the owners manual. also the fuel tripmeter will reset in the same amount of time if you don't manually reset it. I just never seen the fuel gauge just drop of for no reason. gremlins maybe....

·
Registered
25 Posts
THE OTHER DAY I WAS ENJOYING MY RIDE AND I HAD A HALF A TANK THEN LESS THAN 30 MINS. LATER I WAS EMPTY, BUT WHEN I STOP TO FUEL UP IT ONLY TOOK 2 1/2 GALS.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
??? Tn it sounds like we have a gremlin in our fuel gauge. The same thing happened to me only today as I posted the gauge dropped from 1/2 to 1/8 in a matter of minutes. It crept back up and was fine for the rest of the ride. Maybe NJ or Rick can comment on this.

raven

·
Registered
373 Posts
depending on your riding style, The fuel gauge is similar to a car, hard turns fast stops can "confuse" confuse the gauge. I really don't think it is anything to worry about.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Accuracy is bad ............

To say the least. I can run her down to -E- & the most I can get in is a little over 2 gallons. It would appear from all the comments this is pretty normal. Even if it does suck ..................... :ne_nau:

·
Registered
153 Posts
It is not the norm for me. I get down to the fill me up light and its right around 3.1 gallons every time.

·
Registered
168 Posts
There's a heck of a variance then.
On mine when the fuel light turns on it usually take 3.4 - 3.6 gallons to fill.

The gauge can also be showing about 1/4 tank when I park and when I get going again my low fuel light comes on.
Weird stuff!!!

GC

·
Registered
220 Posts
rczap said:
It is not the norm for me. I get down to the fill me up light and its right around 3.1 gallons every time.
3.3 gallons for me.

Even on my friend's M-109 he has issues with his fuel gauge. I was told that it's pretty hard to get an accurate reading from a fuel gauge on a bike.

Thusly - Trip B is for my fuel reset.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ninja i also use trip b as a backup to my fuel level. been riding without a fuel gauge for 35 years and just got use to it i guess. i do like the fuel gauge though..just gonna have to learn it's habits.

raven

·
Registered
634 Posts
I also use trip B for fuel reset. Force of habit. I may not have been riding for 35 years like Raven, but this is my first foray into the realm of bikes with a fuel gauge. Mine however...seems to act just fine. Little blips here and there, but it always levels itself out correctly in a short period, and I'm always truly low when the light comes on.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well I thank everyone for their input on their fuel gauge. Maybe it was just a blip. ( gremlin ) Thought it was worth mentioning though since we are all sort of beta testers in a way. Rick said it right in another thread...this bike is still pretty brand new and we have to give the aftermarket a chance to respond with our toys we need. Give them too much crap and they may not respond at all. If you want something proven buy a roadstar or vstar. Me I enjoy being on the edge it's more exciting.

Raven :chilout:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had fuel gauges on bikes now for 3 years and have found a few things out. I've got a venture that has a gauge and have put 20000 miles on it and never had any problems after learning how it works. Now its a digital readout (bars) but I've found that when it reads close to empty and the fuel light comes on and I park it in the sun at work, when I come out at the end of the day the low fuel light won't be on and the reading is upscale some..... I attribute that to the gas expanding in the sun.... After a few miles, the gauge goes down and the low fuel light comes back on.

Now with the raider IF you look at the gauge really close, what I thought was 1/2 a tank is actually the 3/4 mark. The markings are closer together down near empty. So far when the low fuel light comes on, the tank will take a bit more than 3 gallons to fill which should be spot on with the reserve under the seat. On another note, when I took off the tins to paint, I ran the bike till the low fuel light came on (50 yards from the garage)..... took off the tank by removing the hoses right on the bottom of the tank and not a drop came out.... the tank was empty.

Cliff

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
THANKS CDV53 I WAS WONDERING HOW EMPTY WAS EMPTY. I GUESS THAT GIVES US 30 OR SO MILES ONCE THE YELLOW LIGHT COMES ON.

RAVEN

·
Registered
373 Posts
My last tank had 117 miles on it when the light came on. I rode it another 15 or so miles and filled it with 3.6 gal

1 - 20 of 21 Posts