MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have constant belt noise which is getting really annoying. The bike has 13,500 miles on it. How long should a drive belt last? It looks pretty good, a little dry at some spots. Is there a way to get rid of the noise or do I have to buy a new belt (which suck since it's over 400 bucks) ?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Have you checked the tension on the belt? If it is good one simple thing you can do is wash the belt and the pulleys....build up of dirt and brake dust will cause it to make noise...you can also try using candle wax on the outside edges of the belt...belt dressing is not recommended it winds up making a bigger mess.....unless the belt has been damaged you should get a lot of miles out of it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I feel ya, I think this is just a problem with raiders. I have constant noise too. I'm at around 8k. I have adjusted it, the dealership has adjusted it, the custom bike shop that I go to has adjusted it... Tried wax... The only solution I found was loudass pipes. Belt still squeals, but at least it doesn't bug me as much lol!
I don't know if it's a bad belt problem or what, but I'm saving to go to the 300 rear kit and I'm hoping that cuts the squeal since it comes with a new belt and pulleys.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If it squeals, either the belt is bad or misaligned. It shouldn't squeal. Mine doesn't.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I run air ride on mine and have only had the belt squeal once and a slight adjustment took care of it. I ride at different heights all the time and the one time it squealed was almost at bottom when the belt was the loosest, but like Roadkill suggested I keep the belt and pulley clean. That makes a big difference. You also have to measure each side to make sure it is aligned properly. I check mine before and after torquing down the axle.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
It's an alignment thing - it can be pretty hard to get the belt aligned just right. I'm lucky ... just haven't had it happen to my Raider yet. Some guys have fought this problem, and it's a been a pain in the a** for some riders. The problem's bad just because of the high torque on the Raider engine.

dT

·
Registered
72 Posts
It happened to mine at around 8000 miles and it went to the dealership for adjusting. Nothing worked so they replaced it. It happened again after a couple thousand miles. I wash and keep the belt clean and it stopped. It is a real pain in the ass to hear a new bike squeal when you add some throttle. Cleaning the belt and pulley seems to keep the noise away. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Using anything but soap and water just makes it pick up more grit to wear it out faster. After you adjust tension and alignment about ten times you will get the hang of it.:thumbup2::chat:
These belts pull big block Boss Hosses down the road so I don't think its all the torque the Raider has.:cheers:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine turned out to be the two part rear pulley ! Never have like that kind of pulley on anything ! Took it apart and coated it with a thin layer of rubber base paint and WOW ! Problem Gone . have done three Raiders since, Problem Gone ! Worked for Me , and I have never cleaned the belt since - work done at 6000 miles and 75,000 miles later still no problem!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Mine turned out to be the two part rear pulley ! Never have like that kind of pulley on anything ! Took it apart and coated it with a thin layer of rubber base paint and WOW ! Problem Gone . have done three Raiders since, Problem Gone ! Worked for Me , and I have never cleaned the belt since - work done at 6000 miles and 75,000 miles later still no problem!
Could you tell us exactly what brand of paint you used, and where you put it? Maybe some pics if you get a chance? :confused:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm intrigued what you used also, as mine squeals also.

Any positive paint suggestion will stop me getting my candle out and rubbing it against the belt edge every so often.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine also squeaked for a while. I brought it in for the 15,000 mile service which included new tires (went up to a 240 in the rear). I haven't had a squeak since then. I really believe there is a 'sweet spot' that needs to be found to eliminate it.

When I did have the noise, I found that 'lubing' the belt using a bar of soap *with the freshness of Ireland* stopped the squeak for a few hundred miles.

Good luck!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Using anything but soap and water just makes it pick up more grit to wear it out faster. After you adjust tension and alignment about ten times you will get the hang of it.:thumbup2::chat:
These belts pull big block Boss Hosses down the road so I don't think its all the torque the Raider has.:cheers:
Jacks right buy a tension gauge and learn to use it.why didnt star make the belts steel and the pulleys rubber i dont know, same reason the roads arent made of rubber and tires made of asphalt so every time you peeled out it would cost the state money:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
belt nose

I have constant belt noise which is getting really annoying. The bike has 13,500 miles on it. How long should a drive belt last? It looks pretty good, a little dry at some spots. Is there a way to get rid of the noise or do I have to buy a new belt (which suck since it's over 400 bucks) ?
Clean the belt and sprocket with gunk and a tootbruch spray a little wd 40 works great..................

·
Registered
15 Posts
Belt Nose Elimination

Clean the belt and sprocket with gunk and a tootbruch spray a little wd 40 works great..................
The key is to properly tension the belt (buy the tensioner gauge) and also dynamic-align your belt on the pulley...DO NOT rely on the alignment marks as they aren't accurate (mine are off by over 1/8"). I put my bike on a stand after properly adjusting the tension. Then I start the bike and idle in 1st gear and use the right adjuster to get the belt to track dead-center on the pulley.

There is no need to apply anything to the belt, nor do you need to clean it. The noise comes exclusively from misadjustment. Additionally, the belt is good for 50,000 miles so don't waste your money buying a new one. You can have it checked by a mechanic if you like but if it's not frayed and you're able to properly adjust the tension, there's nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Belt noise elimination

I tried your posted solution of aligning the belt in the center of the pully dynamically (1st gear, with the back wheel turning), and it worked! No more belt noise! It's interesting, though, that, in order to get the belt centered on the pully, the alignment marks are off by 1 1/2 marks from one side to the other! I assume, since the belt is aligned in the pully, that the rear wheel is still in alignment with the front wheel, even though the alignment marks are way off??

Previous to this, I went to an auto parts store and purchased "belt dressing". It does work well and eliminates the belt noise for a couple thousand miles, but it does come back.

I'd be interested to hear a trained Yamaha mechanic comment on this whole issue! With so many Raider owners having this problem, there must be a tech bulletin from Yamaha on the cause and solutions! My local Yamaha mechanic said "all the belts ride to one side of the pully", and that's normal. I guess he thinks the belt squeaking should be normal also? NOT!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Belt noise elimination

I tried your posted solution of aligning the belt in the center of the pully dynamically (1st gear, with the back wheel turning), and it worked! No more belt noise! It's interesting, though, that, in order to get the belt centered on the pully, the alignment marks are off by 1 1/2 marks from one side to the other! I assume, since the belt is aligned in the pully, that the rear wheel is still in alignment with the front wheel, even though the alignment marks are way off??

Previous to this, I went to an auto parts store and purchased "belt dressing". It does work well and eliminates the belt noise for a couple thousand miles, but it does come back.

I'd be interested to hear a trained Yamaha mechanic comment on this whole issue! With so many Raider owners having this problem, there must be a tech bulletin from Yamaha on the cause and solutions! My local Yamaha mechanic said "all the belts ride to one side of the pully", and that's normal. I guess he thinks the belt squeaking should be normal also? NOT!
Mine is a 2009 and I was having serious birds chirping from my rear sprocket. I picked up a suggestion on another forum that recommended lightly sanding the edges on both sides of each tooth. I removed the upper belt guard and used a tiny #10 ignition file, making sure to mark the belt where I started. That way I’d know where to stop. I then lightly roughed up each outside tooth and followed that up with a little dab of high velocity gear oil on a rag, wiping the same outside edges of each tooth on the belt. Be sure to just apply very lightly. Took about thirty minutes. Viola, chirping birds are gone. After reading this forum, I’m little worried this will just mask the problem and the birds might return in a few thousand miles. If that happens, I’m going back to the most logical solution I’ve heard on any of these forums. To jack up the rear, put it in gear and adjust the belt when it’s running, so you can actually see to which side the belt is tracking. Because it sounds like the factory markings aren’t all that accurate.

·
American Legion Rider
39 Posts
Because it sounds like the factory markings aren’t all that accurate.
That's certainly a possibility. I just used a bar of soap to drag along the outside edges with the bike in gear and engine running. I did have to repeat it several times but somewhere around 30,000 miles I stopped having to do it. The repeats were about every 5,000 miles. But I only had one bike that did this. I highly suspect the gravel roads I ride now is the reason I've never had the birds since. But I like your thoughts on adjusting the belt while it's moving...sorta. I'd be a little concerned it might get it too tight since you can't really check that while it's moving and being too tight can be a cause of chirping.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts