MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set an appointment to have may 1st service. The service guy told me they had to remove my pipes (cobra) in order to change my trans. oil. Is that what you guys are having to do?

·
Registered
55 Posts
no you don't have to remove your pipes, the drain plug is a t-40 torx, the drain plug is on the side of the transfer Case hidden behind that ugly foil crap. the fill plug is is the big silver on the side to take this out use a 10 mm Allen wrench. i cut the end off of mine and use the end i cut off which is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches now in length,then i used a 10 mm wrench to take it out.the little level plug is next this is the Allen bolt under the the big fill plug i used a 1/4 inch socket with a Allen. reverse the above to finish it .use sae 80 api gl-hypoid gear oil .58 of a quart fill the big hole till you see it start to drip from the level hole. burt

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have the Cobra Slashdowns and I did not remove the pipes , The hardest part is getting to the drain plug for the transfer case, but it can be done without removing the pipes. The Fill hole is easy to get to and the fill level plug is also not that bad to deal with. Don't let them charge you to remove the pipes and if they insist they have to just do it yourself. just my $.02

Oh and make sure the bike is level when you are filling and checking to see if it is full!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Weather us shade trees remove them or not, you can bet your life if they say they have to do it, you WILL get charged for it :rant-rave:, our short cuts= less money for them, manual says so,maybe if you tattoo YAMAHA SERVICE MANUAL across your forehead and tell them they don't have to remove them maybe they wont :wave:

·
Registered
57 Posts
had my service done at my dealer, i have cobra swepts and they did not remove them,i watched them do it,whole service took about 1 hour,

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don't understand how, if they are doing the whole service part of that service is adjusting the belt. How can you adjust the belt without removing the cobra swepts? I sure wish I would have removed my rear axle bolt and put it in the other way while I was changing pipes so adjusting the belt would have been easy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts