MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and am the proud owner of a blue Raider S. I am approaching my first 600 mile service and would like to do the oil change myself rather than pay the dealership to do it. Has anybody done this service themselves? Any replies are appreciated.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I just did mine the day I got it. I broke it in real hard and then changed the oil. Kinda messy but not hard. The oil plugs. Drain all three. At frist I thought the rear one near the spring was the trans but it's not. I didn't have the owners manual but guys here helped out. Second time will be easyer. Also you might want to change the trans oil and that plug in user the shiny bundle of wires on the side of the the trans. I would recommend synth gear oil. Your shifting will be smoother after synth trans oil.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
826 Posts
Transfer case might seem a bit tricky, some say that you need to remove the exhaust but there was a post on here that detailed a way without removing your pipes. Try a search for first service or something like that. I will look in a bit.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Gear case is a pain, due to the brake lines and heat guard around them and removing the stock exhaust.

Oil is easy, did not even use the lift, because it blocked the two crank case bolts. Dont forget the oil tank bolt, thats three total.

Mobil1 M108 or M110 filters are compatible.

I used Mobil1 20w50 VTwin oil. There is Mobil1 15w50 in the auto section that would work as well.

If you get into a jam, there are folks who can offer advice here.

fisher

·
Registered
826 Posts
"Here is what was posted on the siter earlier, I saved this so I do not know who originally posted it:
I heard from every one that the pipes must be removed , thats not true i just did mine
and it was easy ,
first off what drain plugs are what , the drain plug is on the side of thetransfer case
hidden behind that ulgy foil crap , so use some pliers and unclip the zip ties,
the drain plug is a t-40 torx,
next is the fill plug this is the big silver plug on the side to remove this i used a
10mm allen that i cut to about 1 1/2 inch and i used a 10mm wrench to turn
now for the little level plug this is the allen bolt under the big fill plug i used a 1/4 inch
socket with a allen made for my drill gun .
so dont remove your pipes . drain the transfer case and plug it back up
now fill with .58 quart sae80 api gl-4 hypoid gear oil (per the owners manual)
fill in the big hole untill the little fill level hole starts to drip .
please pass on this info."

I also found this guide online with compatible filters for the Raider

BOSCH……………………….3300
K&N………………………….KN-303
NAPA GOLD………………...1358
PUROLATOR……………….ML16817
STP…………………………...SDF13
WIX…………………………..51358
FRAM………………………..6017A
HASTINGS…………………..LF-113
HI FLO………………………HF-303
EMGO……………………….10-82220
PER-FORM…………………J-503

Ride Safe

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Eian,great info,thanks. I read where the stock Yam. oil filters are inferior to say the purolator and others. Jack :eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
When changing the transfer case lube, check (measure) how much comes out. Some of these Raiders were under filled from the factory or dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts