MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just installed the factory drag pipes on my raider everthing went fine till i went to hook up the oxygen sensor, the wires are not long enough to reach the hole were the sensor has to go , anybody else have this problem ? would it be allright to just add more wire to the sensor so it will reach? thanks for any help. Burt

·
Registered
155 Posts
I read on here that somebody added some wire to make it reach. However, if you unhook the connector that is under the seat and next to the fuse box. I think there is something else that has to be disconnected to get to what your looking for. You should be able to reroute the wires without having to add any wire. Trace your wires backward from the O2 censor that screws into the pipe, it will lead you to the connector I'm talking about. Good luck... Hope my directions aren't to confusing..

Brian

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Brian i tried that tracing the wires from the sensor back, but they are still short? any other ideas? Burt

·
Registered
155 Posts
No, sorry. I have the Cobra Slashdowns. There was some discussion a few months ago about the "short wires". All we had to do was reroute the censor. Not familiar with the Star Dragpipes. Good luck with that. :confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have cobra swepts and had to add wire,took a little time but worked out fine,I tried several ways but would not work

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i got everthing figured out ,i had to do a little creative custom work to get the wiring for the sensor to work by modify the bracket it is mounted to. but now everthing is fine, started it and it sounds great, hope to go fore a test drive tomorrow if the weather is nice. thanks everone for your help. Burt

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hey Burt, I just finished installing the same pipes tonight on my new Raider. First of all I was shocked that my dealer received them in about 36 hours!

My box came with an extension wire that plugged into the sensor under the seat and then into the end of the original co2 sensor cord, thus allowing it to reach the new hole in the inside of the front pipe. I think you got shorted on some of your parts.

I only rode mine a couple of miles after the install. Then I came home and made sure everything was still snug. I am expecting them to get a little louder once they get blow out some. Let me know how you like them and how you bike runs (performance and fuel usage).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you are right i bought mine used off of ebay,and there was no extension for the o2 sensor, the weather here has been wet so i have not had a chance to really ride it since i made the change, but will let you know, let me know what you think about yours also. Burt

·
Registered
80 Posts
yfan said:
I have cobra swepts and had to add wire,took a little time but worked out fine,I tried several ways but would not work
I installed my swepts the other night and only needed to move the O2 connection slightly, nothing major. Maybe there are some randomly different lengths on the wires........

·
Registered
80 Posts
little burt said:
did you notice any defference after you installed the sweeps? burt
Difference in sound? - ABSOLUTELY!!

Difference in performance? - I haven't completed the intake upgrade yet but so far there seems to be an improvement in initial response and overall acceleration. I am not a drag race guy nor do I obsess over dyno figures and such (no offense at all to anyone who is into those details). This bike is vastly superior to my last one and that combined with learning and adjusting to it every time I ride makes it difficult to accurately make a distinction. All that means is it looks as good as it sounds as good as it runs as good as it looks...........

·
Registered
826 Posts
My only suggestion for those that are lengthing wires is to solder all of your connectins and not to use butt connectors. A little solder and some heat shrink will do perfect and they will last forever.
Just my $0.02

1 - 13 of 13 Posts