MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just got a black Raider a couple of weeks ago (my wife was feeling generous and I didn't question it). I would like to get a better sound from it by drilling the baffles (at least for this season). Anyone try this out on the Raider slip-ons yet?

·
Registered
499 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
BeeGee said:
I've just got a black Raider a couple of weeks ago (my wife was feeling generous and I didn't question it).
Bee, no offence but... I am confused about this sentence. Can you please explain? LOL. You bought it. She was generous. You have a sugar mama? JK. Good luck.

VB

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bee,

I drilled mine yesterday. I must say I'm a little disappointed - I thought it would make a bigger difference than it did. I recorded video/audio before, during (1/2" holes) and after (full 3/4" holes). I will post soon.

When idling, she sounds almost exactly the same. The big difference obviously is when I open her up and on decel - nice, low, pops. Very cool.

I'm thinking about de-baffling, but I don't know if the baffle follows the swept contour of the exhaust or not and if this is even possible. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
530 Posts
daveu said:
I'm thinking about de-baffling, but I don't know if the baffle follows the swept contour of the exhaust or not and if this is even possible. Does anyone know?
I would think you will have a big power loss if you removed the baffles without adding a PC3 and air kit. With no back pressure I would think the stock ecu would be all over the place and it may even null the warranty.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just got done drilling four 3/4" holes in both of the pipes... Besides the metal scarps in my eyes (my dumb a$$ forgot to ware goggles), it sounds MUCH better, deeper tone, louder, and when I give it a throttle it screams. When idling, it's little louder then the stock, but it's OK. Tomorrow I will drill four more 1/2' holes in between. That should do trick, until I get my Vance and Hines/Palhegyi exhaust.

VB

·
Registered
46 Posts
Impaler,

I almost injured myself too - except what happened to me was the drill bit caught and my overly-powerful drill flipped around several times with my hand still attached. I closed my eyes and when I opened them I fully expected to see my hand on backwards and upside-down, but alas, I was okay (still sore though). The hardened-steel bit was bent about 10 degrees. Yikes.

For those of you thinking of doing this: one word of advice. Drill closer to the baffle. There's a sleeve in the muffler that runs along the inside of the outer part of the pipe - this thing must be made of hardened steel or something because the drill bit wouldn't touch it (and was partly responsible for the debacle above) and looks like crap if it's mangled by the drill bit. The rear plate drills relatively easy but stay away from the outside.

·
Registered
326 Posts
the baffels dont follow the pipes there in the last foot or so of striaght pipe if you gut them and dont like the sound you can always cut a little bit of the baffle off and reinstall it might take a while to get the sound/power ratio your looking for but it would be cheaper than buying pipes ;D

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just drilled my stockers out tonight and notice the better sound I got out of them. I did the top-bottom-left-right patter with a 7/8" step bit.
I live 3 blocks from the local Harley dealership and hear their stockers all the time. Now with mine drilled it sounds like a loud HD stock bike. I like it alot till I can order the cobra drag pipes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.