72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,im going to be changing my exhaust and doing a fuel managment,
is that something that should be done by the dealer or is that somthing you
can do on your own

·
Registered
326 Posts
you can do it on your own fairly easy, and plus you have all of us to answer questions if you need help ;D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mass - That entirely depends on your setup. The bike is equipped with O2 sensors... some exhaust setups may not require a new fuel controller to be installed as the stock unit will adjust AFR based on what the O2 sensors pick up. The best thing to do would be to call the manufacturer of the exhaust type you plan to buy and ask what setups they have run with.

If you go with a Power Commander - you can adjust the AFR on your own. Or better yet - if someone has created the proper Map for the Raider with your exact exhaust - you can simply download the Map from Power Commander's website (http://www.powercommander.com/eng_default.aspx) - update the control module with the new map and then it's just a quick (depends on how quick and comfortable you are with tools) swap of the exhaust - plug in the new module - turn the key on and ride away without doing anything else.

You can even monitor your own AFI via Laptop as you ride (i'd recommend a passenger hang on to it, lol) and make necessary changes on your own to create a new Map if no one has one available to download.

If that sounds like too much work... then ask your dealer or usually any shop with a dyno and a sniffer can do it for you. All you would need is to make sure they can create maps for the Power Commander and you're GTG.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I was going to go with the Power Commander, But I am getting the Cobra Swept pipes, so I changed my mind and decided to go with the Cobra FI2000R C/LOOP. I figured Cobra Pipes, Cobra Fuel Management, should go good together.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey Mass, Where you located?

·
Registered
220 Posts
WaRaider said:
I was going to go with the Power Commander, But I am getting the Cobra Swept pipes, so I changed my mind and decided to go with the Cobra FI2000R C/LOOP. I figured Cobra Pipes, Cobra Fuel Management, should go good together.
How will Cobra's FCM work if you decide to get an air intake, as well? I'm not too sure on the tunability of the F12000R or any of Cobra's FCM's. (i'm a little green to cobra parts).

I was thinking of getting an air kit for my whip when I get the Cobra Swept pipes... I'm a bit curious if it is needed, how much power, etc... or if I should just go with a K&N air filter in the stock box to help increase flow...

I'm lost with F.I. on bikes :D - every bike I've owned has been carb'd. There is a kick-ass dyno down the street from me (about 1.5 miles). They do absolutely amazing work over there... so I guess if it comes down to it - I could always go to them with a Power Commander and have them tune it for meh.

But I'm pretty happy with the bike's stock speed so far. Granted, I've only ridden her twice since Wednesday - really short scoots thanks to cold weather - so she only has 30 miles on her o_O

UPDATE: Hey WaRaider - just did a little bit of looking at some serial numbers.

The Closed Loop (Fi2000R 02) fits these bikes only: http://fi2000r.com/page.php?page=64
The standard (Fi2000R) fits these bikes: http://fi2000r.com/page.php?page=51

According to Cobra - we don't have a closed loop system.

The installation instructions for both systems are the same (the one for the Fi200R).

You might want to double check - but I've already sent an e-mail to Cobra. I'll post back here when I hear something back.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey Ninja, that is interesting. I looked at the model number on that website and it is 92-1774CL, The model number for mine is 92-1777CL. Don't know what the deal is but if it doesn't fit, I will send it back and get a power commander. When I ordered the pipes the website showed this model as being for the Raider.

Update: I was looking on that site and the R model is for the Raider. Which is the same model I purchased. They must have just had it mislabeled.

·
Registered
220 Posts
WaRaider - They also have their install manuals duplicated for both the R and The CL systems. Could just be a webmaster improperly typing something in the database. I've done that a few times creating websites.

Either or... I did e-mail them about it - just waiting for an answer. I'll post an update when I find out from the Horse's mouth.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yea, Let me know when you find out. I have made some errors while making websites also.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I went down this same road in 01 with my VTX. Now options & accessories are plentiful.
I think it's reasonable to expect the same will occur with the Raider.

I'll eventually change out exhaust & FI mgmt, but I won't be so quick this time until I've seen sufficient research to warrant my move. IMHO it's just too soon. A year from now, I predict you"ll see much more and hopefully debugged!!

For those new to FI, the Power Commander has an adjustable system via different MAPs for varying exhaust/air intake combinations. I experimented with them for 4 years and the conclusion I drew was that there are others out there that can adjust in real time via O2 sensor readings. And can actually learn over a period of miles. I don't believe the PC has adopted that ability yet. Research one of the original inventors of the PC who has since broken off and started his own company for further info.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey Mass, Cool, I wa windering because I know someone from the springfield/Palmer area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts