MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not looking for gobs of extra power - I'd like to keep as much ride-ability as possible.

I'm 100% certain I am going to buy the Cobra Swept exhaust when it becomes available. With it I am going to purchase the Fi2000 fuel controller and either a K&N Air Filter (PN: YA-1906) or Thunder Air BAK.

I know that I will get more power from using the Thunder Air BAK - but will it destroy my chances of riding if I accidentally get caught in the rain?

I know nothing of this bike or the Strat/Roadliner... but I read that the air box is under the fuel tank... Water + Engines = no no.

Or should I just go for the replacement K&N Air Filter and play it safe? I know I'm not going to get 10+ ponies like I will with a BAK - but I "should" at least see some gains, correct?

I do like to take those long hikes out of the city every now and again... and I've been caught unaware many times by "instant rain" when it the weatherman declared cloudless skies.

Just looking for personal experiences with BAK's and/or opinions on the matter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A little water is no problemo ........... it'll just blow the carbon off the plugs & cylinder heads.
But if you need scuba gear to ride you could have problems.

Ran BAK on my VTX and never experienced any trouble.

Getting a perfect match on FI mgmt can be tricky if your trying to maintain optimum performance. From the research I've done systems that operate in real time are the best. So far however haven't found anything definitive on this engine to know which system that might be.

Rather than listening to any manufactures sales hype. The guys that are setting these up for racing are the ones that get my attention. If it isn't putting power to the rear wheel it isn't doing its job!

Keep an eye on Lamonsters postings. He was & is instrumental in providing a wealth of info on the VTX board in a variety of areas. If he gets as deep into the Raider as he was with the X's expect some proven feedback from him. JMHO .......

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roger that SS1. I know the mill in the Raider is the same one in the Strato/Roadliner... so I'm thinking in terms of that specific bike.

I know many people who don't have issues with Cobra's Fuel Controller - and simply throwing down pipes and an intake aren't huge changes, overall. (compared to cams, pistons, porting, etc.)

I don't need to be the fastest on the street - but I know that opening up the exhaust is best matched with a little bit more airflow.

I've never had a BAK on any of my bikes... so I was curious about the whole "oh cripes it's gonna rain!" deal with them.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Keep in mind that the EPA has forced the motorcycle industry to significantly alter how they deal with emissions. Running on the lean side appears to be most prevalent.

Big draw back, soon as you open up the air intake & change exhaust back pressure you've now created a new set of parameters that need to be reset. Otherwise your going to lose power and backfire like crazy.

The engineers have spent a good deal of time trying to find the right balance of O2, power, performance & fuel economy. The key is to find that happy medium after modification.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I don't think you can put a BAk on this bike as the filters are under the tank.. I had a BAK on my Meanstreak and got caught in a hell of a rain storm last year and there was no problems whatsoever. Barons comes with a rain skirt you can put over it but I never used it. Also with pipes, PC3, and BAK I got another 10hp and definetly felt the difference.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I just ordered my BAK from Patrick Racing. Should get a few more hp from their's instead of Thunder's because of the venturi tubes.

Also...I have a BAK on my Warrior which is also under the tank like the Raider's is. Never any problems with rain, and I get caught in it all the time here in Florida. :mad:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was at the auto parts store today they had the same filters as the BAK. You can find the dimensions of your throttle body and order the filters separate. the bigger filter are around $30 the smaller one are cheaper. I figure you can save half the money if you do it that way. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
I'm all for getting creative, finding your own solutions and saving some coin in the process...

Couple of things to be aware of
- the BAK and Thunder kits both include small venturi stacks which increase and control the velocity of the air flow and provide attachment points between the filter and the throttle body
- You'll also have to purchase some smaller breather filters as well
- you might find yourself fabricating a bracket or two for those items that are connected to the air box that you'll be removing.

If you decide to go the do-it-yourself route and you're happy with the results, definitely let me know, and we can post how you did it on the site.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I bought my Raider from the dealer they delivered it with the Yamaha drag pipes on it.

I'm concerned about changing the pipes and the effect that has on the engine's backpressure. The dealer told me that they didn't do anything to specifically tune it with the pipes and that the computer should take care of that on its own.

Does that sound right to anyone more experienced with this than I am?

Thanks.
Q

·
Registered
373 Posts
Quantum said:
When I bought my Raider from the dealer they delivered it with the Yamaha drag pipes on it.

I'm concerned about changing the pipes and the effect that has on the engine's backpressure. The dealer told me that they didn't do anything to specifically tune it with the pipes and that the computer should take care of that on its own.

Does that sound right to anyone more experienced with this than I am?

Thanks.
Q
Quantum, I talked to my dealer, and was told that these Yamaha Speedstar pipes were specifically designed for the Raider. therefore, no changes need to be made. The bikes computer will adjust for the change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.