MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to follow-up on the discussion we were having yesterday regarding AO's concerns regarding the valve clatter on the Raider, especially when compared to some of the other bikes we're used to riding.

We mentioned the pushrod architecture and 4-Valve design. The aspect that I forgot to mention is that the Raider is an air-cooled motor. This point alone contributes significantly to the amount of racket you're going to hear from the Raider's mill. The radiator and all the coolant running throughout a liquid-cooled motor serves to muffle a great amount of the mechanical noise you hear from a motorcycle engine (not to mention car engines as well - compare the sound of the classic Porsche 911 flat-six to the new generation - BIG difference).

The Raider is the first air-cooled bike that I've owned in over a decade, so I had forgotten how much this makes a difference. I know that AO's v-star was air-cooled as well, but there are a ton of other cruisers out there from all the mfrs that are liquid-cooled, so don't fret when you fire up your Raider and hear the ruckus that ensues from a classic push-rod, air-cooled engine that has 4 valves/cylinder and has pistons the size of soup cans! ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello everyone as you can see I am new to your site, I traded my o6 strato in last Nov. and picked up the Tommy blue Raider, but due to the weather here in MN. it only has 5 blocks on it :-[ :-[ but that will soon change, as far as the valve chatter my 06 strato did the same thing and i put over 17000 on it before I traded it in, at 16000 i had the 16000 mile check (this is were they check valve clearance), It was right on and needed nothing as far as adjustments go. allot of the noise you hear is transmitted through the air intake as on my strato this engine gulps allot of air, in closing I say sit back Enjoy your new ride the engine is the best v-twin made, how many motorcycles can you get a 5 year warranty on yamaha backs this engine to the hilt. ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Starman -

welcome aboard, it's great to have you along...

Thanks for the update on the engine noise - I think a bunch of guys over here are breathing ;) a little easier.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Starman I feel your pain. Too cold too long, this winter, global warming can kick in anytime now. :rant-rave:

By the way, being new myself I'm not sure I understand your statement of 5 year engine warranty. Did I miss a section in the owners manual? I would have sworn the salesman told me the standard warranty was 1 year???

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ahhhh yes the old extended warranty program! I kinda thought that may have been the case, but wasn't sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts