MBF Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Glad it helped to identify the problem, now all you have to do is figure out if its your turn signals and why. Just curious but did your new signals come with 3 wires or only 2. I hooked up my led's to the front with the 2 wire kit (terminating the 3rd wire which is used for running lights) and this is when I heard the noise. Put the stock lollipops back on with all 3 wires connected and it was quiet again.
Something to look at if you have changed out your signal lights and are only running 2 wires.
Cheers,
As I had mentioned before, I was in over my head as I am with anything electrical. Should have let the mechanics install it for me.

After reading your post, you've got me wondering. There were plugs from the Custom LED (rear) light that went with the plugs from the left and right directional lights. Then there was a single gray wire which my understanding was that it had to do with if I went with the toggle for customizing my flashing. I passed on that toggle as I don't need a freaking light show. I left that gray wire unattached to anything.

The integrated tail light was working great. I just wish I would have checked to see if I had lost my head light right then and there or if it blew later when I had the beavertail ripped up inside the wheel well when the tag bounced down and caught the tire. We (the mechanics and I) suspect that the wires from the tag light may have touched each other when they were exposed from the tag and beaver tail passing through.

Definitely a :banghead: experience but I blame it all on my lack of skills with anything electrical. Beautiful day out and the bike's in the shop...they said they'd try to have it done by today. I'm praying once the headlight is back working, maybe that sound will be gone.:pray:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
If your plate light wires touched make sure that your relays are all good. Pull them out and look at them. Or make sure that the shop does it. Including the ones for your headlight.

Also, make sure that they do a good inspection on all the wiring from end to end. There could be something burnt up or frayed/chaffed in the system and you won't know unless you take a look and phantom problems will plague your bike until they are fixed. Those are the problems that screw us over in A/C maintenance all the time.

At a minimum make sure that the shop checks continuity between the lights and the relay boxes and shorts between those wires and or possible shorts to ground that shouldn't exist. I'll look at the wireing diagrams at home tonight and see which ones exactly need to be checked if you like and give you the breakdown.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Thanks Matt, I've got a Yamaha Mechanic who said he'd check all the wires, ect. to make sure it's good to go. I'm just trying not to wear out the floor with pacing. I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve who can't wait to finally get his toys. Problem is, the more they check, the longer it takes but I know I just need to be patient and let them fix it properly.

Man, Tom Petty sure was right when he sang..."The waiting is the hardest part."

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Ya I know how it is bro. Trust me, I'm the most impatient person in the world. That's probably why I make myself learn all this stuff so that I don't have to wait on anyone else cause it drives me F**Kin crazy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Okay lets see if I can help with this.
When you first start the bike after it has been sitting overnight the engine is a little cold and after the start the stator on the generator tends to start an oscillation or that noise that you hear, if you put a electrical load on the generator like an incandescent light (the stock light not an HID) or turn on the turn signals, the stock ones (they draw about 20 watts leds do not draw a lot maybe .3 watts) the noise will stop, that is because of the electrical load.
I do not know if there is a fix for the stator, it should not damage it. I hope this helps.
Ride safe.
:chat:

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'd think if you added a load equalizer for the turn signals (basically it slows the blink rate when you swap to LED signals) that it would replace the missing load and you're problem should be solved.
Custom Dynamics sells a load equalizer. Check with them and see if that would fix it. Ask them what the wattage add is on the L/E.
~chilly

·
Registered
840 Posts
Okay lets see if I can help with this.
When you first start the bike after it has been sitting overnight the engine is a little cold and after the start the stator on the generator tends to start an oscillation or that noise that you hear, if you put a electrical load on the generator like an incandescent light (the stock light not an HID) or turn on the turn signals, the stock ones (they draw about 20 watts leds do not draw a lot maybe .3 watts) the noise will stop, that is because of the electrical load.
I do not know if there is a fix for the stator, it should not damage it. I hope this helps.
Ride safe.
:chat:
Guess I'll have to rig a stereo system or something to make up for the loss of drawn power, that and/or a coffee maker. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
i say get a massage chair and make a seat out of it.. that's what i'd do.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'd think if you added a load equalizer for the turn signals (basically it slows the blink rate when you swap to LED signals) that it would replace the missing load and you're problem should be solved.
Custom Dynamics sells a load equalizer. Check with them and see if that would fix it. Ask them what the wattage add is on the L/E.
~chilly

Chillyraider, you are so right!

I typed the story up in another thread if anyone wants all the details

http://www.mybikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20175

but for this thread I'll just say, have Yamaha install;

DS-272236 Turn Signal Equalizer ($26.99)

The Yamaha mechanic put that on my Raider, took out the Custom LED ELFR-1 relay that they say was causing the noise. Now everything is working great and no more of that awful noise. :eek:hyea:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Same problem. Turned out to be a pinched wire grounding out from the LED turns. I used 2" strips from Custom LED ($20, RAW $120). Found wire and noise went away. No equalizer needed. I did take a couple 1157 turn signal sockets and wire them inline under the seat to each front turn signal. That took care of the fast blink issue for about $5. If u use the OEM from the Raider, the friggin bulbs are $20 each.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Engine Noise

Check out this video with good sound, it may be the same issue which turned out to be a disconnected head light. Had this same thing happen to me recently and felt sick when I heard the noise.
Hooked up my headlight and it went away.
Hope this helps.

If the link doesn't work search raider starter clutch on you tube.
Cheers,
I change the head light bulb and I still get that noise and the head light dims went it occurs ????

21 - 32 of 32 Posts