MBF Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 Raider suddenly started making a noise coming from the engine. It only makes the noise for the first 5 minutes after starting it. I can't pin point from where exactly. It just has 2000 miles. I brought it to the dealer and they state that the noise is occuring due to the fact I removed the turn signals.. They say it is the generator that makes the noise. My warranty is ending in one month... I told them i will put the signals back on and then see if it still makes a noise.

Has anybody had this happen to them or ever heard of this? The funny thing is i removed the signals around 300 miles... Why now?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Betcha it's the dreaded lifter problem. Anyway you can describe the noise? Removing the turn signals sounds like complete bologna!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a slight noise after removeing signals. I was told by shop that was causing my noise. No lifter noise at all, and this noise is slight. I never put signals back on to see if it would go away.

Sled: When you removed your signals a noise started or is it your lifters?

·
Registered
19 Posts
there is a noise that comes from you gen when your head light goes out. it sounds like a low volume horn. maybe its the same noise. i was told it was from lack of draw.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
There is a thread about the noise after the headlight is disconected coming from the gen....I replaced my signals with the stealth ones from Raw Design eliminated the running light function no noise....or if there is I don't hear it.....

·
Registered
148 Posts
damn! i have the same noise! this is what i thought it was. i did the raw design front blinkers, integrated rear signals and a h.i.d. head light. can/will a load equalizer or a new blinker relay for led lights fix this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had this happen last week and it made me a little nervous i must say!! Immediatly turned the bike off and started investigating. Started it back up and rode it around town to see it it went away when it warmed up. no go. pulled up to the garage door and noticed headlight was out. Flipped it to low beam and wolla noise went away to my relief!! Must be due to low draw.

·
Registered
840 Posts
damn! i have the same noise! this is what i thought it was. i did the raw design front blinkers, integrated rear signals and a h.i.d. head light. can/will a load equalizer or a new blinker relay for led lights fix this?[/quote]

Anyone know a fix? I was all psyched earlier this week when I put in my Custom LED integrated tail light and new blinker relay, now it seems I'm hearing the same noise you guys are talking about and I know it wasn't there before. :gaah:

·
Registered
840 Posts
I've been emailing back and forth with a guy named Jon at Custom LED about this noise. He is waiting to hear what the mechanic finds out as my bike is in the shop this week.

This was the latest email I got from Jon;

Thank you for the info Don. I would appreciate a follow up after the mechanic goes over the install. All OEM wires are fuse protected on the motorcycle, so I'm curious why the fuse wouldn't have protected your switches. Also, I would love to determine the cause of the noise. I don't see how it can have anything to do with the turn signals.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Regards,

Jon
Custom LED
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
my 15 buck LED signals don't make my bike make any noise.. :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Your dealer is correct, it is due to lack of draw. They all do it if you start changing lights! NO big deal, mine has done it since I installed a HID kit and removed my blinkers. Yamaha has a bulletin out about it, I will have to get the number for you. NO worries...

Brent

·
Registered
21 Posts
Engine Noise

Check out this video with good sound, it may be the same issue which turned out to be a disconnected head light. Had this same thing happen to me recently and felt sick when I heard the noise.
Hooked up my headlight and it went away.
Hope this helps.

If the link doesn't work search raider starter clutch on you tube.
Cheers,

·
Registered
840 Posts
Check out this video with good sound, it may be the same issue which turned out to be a disconnected head light. Had this same thing happen to me recently and felt sick when I heard the noise.
Hooked up my headlight and it went away.
Hope this helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVYBnt8mEG0

If the link doesn't work search raider starter clutch on you tube.
Cheers,

Yep....that's the noise I'm talking about.

·
Registered
840 Posts
That is one ugly sound. I'm glad mine doesn't make that noise. I have changed my blinkers out too and haven't ever heard that.
Yes it is, it's embarrassing to start up the bike around other bikers and having them hear that god awful sound. Hopeful some wizard will come up with a solution.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Engine Noise

Glad it helped to identify the problem, now all you have to do is figure out if its your turn signals and why. Just curious but did your new signals come with 3 wires or only 2. I hooked up my led's to the front with the 2 wire kit (terminating the 3rd wire which is used for running lights) and this is when I heard the noise. Put the stock lollipops back on with all 3 wires connected and it was quiet again.
Something to look at if you have changed out your signal lights and are only running 2 wires.
Cheers,

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I'm running those cheap 15 buck leds from Auto Zone and have themy hooked up in a 2 wire config with the constant terminated and capped. I don't have that sound. There's gotta be something causing it. Check your third wire if you have it capped and make sure it's not shorting to anything on either side. That's the only thing I can think of at the moment. I'll keep working the issue.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts