MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I finally got my OEM engine guards, couldn't wait to get them on. Step one, remove the engine cross member bracket. Should be easy enough...except I can't even budge the two hex bolts (or whatever they are called) on the front of the damn thing so I can get to the bolts behind it. I really don't want to make a service appt for this, but I'm at a loss...being mechanically challenged as I am.

Also, for anyone thats installed these; the instructions say to remove the horn and carbon canister assemblies...is this really necessary? It seems like it will go on without removing them...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, I had the same exact problem with that cross member. I couldn't budge the hex bolts either. I was able to install without removing the cross member or the horn assembly. It took a little more time and patience but it can be done.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just finished installing my Cobra engine guard. Maybe this will help.

Here's a pic of the engine cross member bracket. It is part #4, bolts are #5. Those hex bolts did have some loctite on them, but I got them off with a 3/8 drive ratchet and hex socket. So is it the same bolts giving you trouble? If so, I would try a heat gun to loosen the loctite.

The cobra kit came with a horn relocation bracket, ended up not using it and reinstalling the horn in its original location.

Now that carbon canister should be removed and keep in a safe place in case the government officals catch up with you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Raider 113 said it all (PIA)...I own a 3/8" drive metric Hex head (Allen wrench) socket set that I bought earlier for my Stratoliner...my bracket bolts also came off hard...I heated the bolts with a propane torch briefly to soften the thread sealant...ordinary metric Allen wrenches like are supplied in the tool kit with the bike can sometimes be used if you can find something like a long socket or handle to slip over the long end of the Allen wrench for leverage...still, it will bend and is cumbersome...nothing beats the Hex head socket or T-handle ball-end hex tools for working on these bikes.

Gary in Fairbanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sorry to hear one stripped.

If I recall correctly the torque spec for those bolts is only 5 ft-lbs, so they problem is the loctite or they were cross threaded as well.

They must get a ton of vibration due to need that type of loctite.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I never got the stripped hex bolt out. But, was able to very easily get them on with a metric deep offset wrench. I personally really like them. I haven't found any good pictures of them installed, so I try to get one today for others to see.

I'll have the stripped hex bolt drilled out when I take it in for the first service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.