MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had dogs all of my life, literally. My uncle brought a puppy to my home as a gift to the new baby (me) and my Mom, his sister, the day I came from the hospital. I've owned large dogs, small dogs and medium size dogs. I've owned mixed breeds, and purebred dogs. Right now I have two: a 7 year old Coton du Tulear (12 pounds) and a 1 year old Bernedoodle (80 pounds). I've loved all of my dogs, but I have never bonded with any dog as I have with my Coton. This breed is the most amazing, affectionate, smart and loyal dog that I have ever owned. If you never heard of the Coton du Tulear, or have heard of it but know little about it, do some searching on the Internet. They've only been in the U.S. for about 40 years so they are still an uncommon breed.

·
Super Moderator
94 Posts
I’m a dog guy too. I always had big dogs Shepherds and labs mostly. When I was born my park had a BIG boxer named King who wouldn’t allow anyone but my folks into the nursery.

Dog stories: I had two Shepherds in the ‘90s and they probably saved our lives when my 150 year old house caught fire in the middle of the night. They woke us up right quick when the smoke alarm in the basement went off and I was able to put out a boiler fire before it spread.

Being a big dog guy I was not real excited when my wife brought home a Shih Tzu puppy. Honestly though,she is the most badasss dog I have ever known. She is deadly as a mouser and pound for pound she is a BEAST. If I could have one that weighed 200 lbs it would be unstoppable.

Current dogs are a 100lb Great Pyrenees and a 15lb Shih Tzu.

·
American Legion Rider
192 Posts
Being a big dog guy I was not real excited when my wife brought home a Shih Tzu puppy. Honestly though,she is the most badasss dog I have ever known. She is deadly as a mouser and pound for pound she is a BEAST. If I could have one that weighed 200 lbs it would be unstoppable.
My Miniature Pinscher was a good mouser too but she was even better at catching moles. I never got to see her do it but she would catch 3 or 4 a week. I've seen her attempt to get one. She would listen. Tilting head one way then another pointing down at the ground. Then, all of a sudden she would freeze, then pounce and start digging like mad. Dirt flying, then sticking her nose in the hole and start digging again. So I can only assume in those digging flurries she was quick enough to nail the moles she would bring back to the door. But like all dogs, they just don't live long enough. I held her in my arms as she went to sleep after being blind and deaf for 3 more years at 18 years. Dang I wish I still had her.

I felt the same about my Pug. She was my bird dog. I'd yell, BIRD, and she would run as fast as her little legs would let her to chase a Crow or Heron or Turkey or any other bird from the yard. She never barked, just ran as fast as she could. The only time she would bark is if she spied a Rattlesnake. Then I knew I needed to go take care of it before she got bit. She too got too old and was in extreme pain in her hip. Both dogs put down the same day by our vet. She was 15 as I held her too, which I guess is pretty good for that breed. Miss both very much. It's hard now just typing this.
:cry2:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
We have a little ShiPoo (Shih-Tzu/Poodle mix). Honestly, I never cared for little dogs, but my wife was nagging me for a dog and because we only have a yard the size of a handkerchief, I decided to get this little dog. Well, my mind has been changed, she is such an affectionate and fun loving little thing.

She's also a mouser (must be in the breed), but is pretty intelligent too. She knows a lot of words. 'Drive?' - she goes to the car, 'ride?' she gets her little backpack, 'walk?' she fetches her leash. She also knows all of her toys by name and will fetch them on command, as well as knows the usual stuff like, sit, shake, high five and kiss.

We have a lot of stray cats that live in the yard of our beach house. First time she saw a cat she ran inside. I've now taught her that when she sees a cat she has to chase it. Didn't take long and now she's right on the ball as soon as she sees/hears them. I want them out of our yard because they piss everywhere and will sneak into the house to steal food if you leave a window/door open.

I'm really impressed with how smart and fun these little dogs are.

·
Super Moderator
94 Posts
Man, having to hold them is the worst. I have always done so, figured I owed it to them. I always pay first cause I am a mess after and ain't talkin. I had a 2 1/2 year old Shep/Rotti mix who got round worm from a raccoon. Likely stepped in the droppings and licked his paws clean. He was 120lbs & perfectly healthy and in 4 days was blind and couldn't stand. That one was tough.

·
American Legion Rider
192 Posts
I always pay first cause I am a mess after and ain't talkin.
I heard that. I’m the same. Don’t say a word to me or I’ll show you what a little girl I am when it comes to my babies. I honestly think it’s harder with a dog than it is with a family member but maybe that’s just my screwy family. I never shed a single tear when my dad died but I sure did for my Pug and Min Pin. Oh heck, I have for every dog I’ve had.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Whiskers

Fawn Terrestrial animal Liver Snout Felidae

The top Pic is of our deceased Bernese Mountain Dog, 'PORTER,' RIP. 150 lbs of unrequited LOVE.

The Pic above is Porter's illegitimate love Child, GRUMPY, from an amorous encounter with Hedgehog. He's sweet as long as he is fed regularly!

Sam :laugh:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My grandparents had a Dingo/X - don't know what the other parent was. He was a pretty savage dog. Very aggressive to anyone who came into the yard.

But he knew us because we would visit Nan and Grandpa almost every weekend. When he heard us approaching the 6 foot high wooden fence he was loud and very aggressive, until we said: 'Dingy, it's us.' Then it was all whining and tail wagging.

I had a special bond with Dingy. My Nan reminded me many times throughout my life of a story about us. Apparently I was about 18 months old and annoying Dingy. He got pissed off and nipped me on the nose. According to my Nan, I grabbed him by the ears and bit him on the nose.

We got along well after that.

I remember when I was about 11, I fell off my bicycle on the gravel road and skinned my knees. I was sitting on my Nan's laundry floor feeling sorry for myself when Dingy came up to me, sniffed my knees and then gently and thoroughly licked them clean.

I loved that dog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts