MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone but me put a car tire on a raider yet? I put a 225/40-18 HANKOOK radial K106 on my bike and have put about 2700 miles on it with no problems. I only got about 2200 miles out of my metz 210 and the new tire only cost me $91.27 out the door.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i have 7,500 miles on my stock metz and still have life left. i drive somewhat agressively... but you must have driven that thing like a bat outta hell to only get 2200...lol

do you have pics of the car tire?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in the mountains and ride very hard on dirt and pavment to and from work almost every day then on my weekends I push it just a little harder. I do have pics but I'm new to this site and dont know how to post them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
http://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/pdf/mcintroe.pdf

Long read but it explains the differences between car tires and motorcycle tires. I suppose if one didn't ride very hard on the sidewall or steered like a car it would not matter. It would work fine in a straight line or if you never encounter that oh **** moment when you need the right tire. Either way I am tired of this discussion. Those of you on the dark side will use car tires and those of us who aren't will use motorcycle tires. They do make cheap motorcycle tires btw why not use them?

·
Registered
612 Posts
I just bought a gallon of 3-in-1 oil for $9.00 on an ebay auction. I'm gonna use it the next time I change oil in my raider. It's oil and it's cheap. It's gotta be a good idea.

Sorry. I may be a bit overboard on my sarcasm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
http://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/pdf/mcintroe.pdf

Long read but it explains the differences between car tires and motorcycle tires. I suppose if one didn't ride very hard on the sidewall or steered like a car it would not matter. It would work fine in a straight line or if you never encounter that oh **** moment when you need the right tire. Either way I am tired of this discussion. Those of you on the dark side will use car tires and those of us who aren't will use motorcycle tires. They do make cheap motorcycle tires btw why not use them?
No the 210 40 18 or 240 40 18 tires are not cheap and in the mountains you cant find them if you have a blow out. Because of the low profile on stock tire I have hit rocks that have already damaged my rim, but on the new tire it gives me almost 1-1/2" more sidewall. I drag my pegs on a daily with no problems, I have yet to see a change in traction or braking.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
amps

really suggest that you ride on motorcycle tires only. The difference between a car tire and an MC tire for cornering is significant. Car tires are designed with very different things in mind from motorcycle tires.

As far as the rocks go on the mountain roads - ride around them.

dT

·
Registered
354 Posts
Because of the low profile on stock tire I have hit rocks that have already damaged my rim, but on the new tire it gives me almost 1-1/2" more sidewall. I drag my pegs on a daily with no problems, I have yet to see a change in traction or braking.
Just too many rocks and you can't dodge them all and 2200 miles a tire is cost prohibitive. I understand your logic amps. But are you saying that the car tire handles the same as as motorcycle tire? Is that what you mean't by "I have yet to see a change in traction or braking". Sounds you might need some protection for that oil filter?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just too many rocks and you can't dodge them all and 2200 miles a tire is cost prohibitive. I understand your logic amps. But are you saying that the car tire handles the same as as motorcycle tire? Is that what you mean't by "I have yet to see a change in traction or braking". Sounds you might need some protection for that oil filter?
No its just different. You have to get used to it, but the tire works well for me.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
So ....... you're using a car tire because you want to cut down on wear on the rear tire of your bike.

Why not change your riding style. Check out the approach below. Absolutely no wear on rear tires, and no part of your ride is ever boring.

Let's see if I can post this. :nopic:

dT

·
Registered
612 Posts
I don't know, but I thought it was asphalt and concrete that caused wear. Dirt gives and is far less abrasive than either. To get only 2200 miles on a rear tire on dirt it must have been underinflated or abused. JMO

Do you get mail in the mountains? Have you thought about UPS or one of their competitors? When my dealer doesn't have what I want, I get mine delivered to my door. I can even keep a spare on hand.

So far the only logic I can see you using is that it is cheaper. I can't debate that.

I guess the answer to your first post is "No". At least nobody else on this forum has gone to the dark side or is willing to admit it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
So far the only logic I can see you using is that it is cheaper. I can't debate that.
He did state in his post that he needed some tire height to avoid damaging the rim. He lives in some rough country and he said the tire works well for him. I don't think the taller 210/240 50, 60 or 70 series motorcycle tires available for a 18" wheel. I know I'll envy the mileage he will get out of one tire.

·
Registered
612 Posts
He did state in his post that he needed some tire height to avoid damaging the rim. He lives in some rough country and he said the tire works well for him. I don't think the taller 210/240 50, 60 or 70 series motorcycle tires available for a 18" wheel. I know I'll envy the mileage he will get out of one tire.
OK. I'll score that too. That's two possible reasons for him to do it that I don't have. The dark side is obviously working for him, but I don't see myself converting because it does.

·
Registered
83 Posts
You know... I gota shed a lil input on this older thread.
1st thing, let the man do as he pleases with his bike for whatever he rides through... If you ask me thats a true cowboy. Amps just wants to ride and wont let terrain hold em back from it.
2nd, the dude cant get tires sent that way, sure there's always the internet that he uses but let em be.
Bottom line is this... different strokes for different folks.
Me myself, Im gana DarkSide the $#!T outa my raider.... Already chop'd the hell outa the B!TC# in my metal shop and cant stop!
Gana throw a new, wider swing arm to hold a beast of a terrain tire.... that's just my brand of Vodka.
I wana have something different... something that says me.
Im not one of these punks that goes into a tattoo shop and asks for a Koi or tribal or whatever is trendy...

Look fellas... its no fun to be another duplicate... show some individualism, be unique, creative... my hats off to those that have done a fine job of showing their own style to their rides!

Im off the subject!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts