MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Darrel and Lamont for pointing me in the direction of MBF, it's great to be here.

My latest ride is an 08 Star Raider (of course, this being NJ, "ride" is something I haven't done much lately - stupid weather). I've owned a few different bikes, mostly of the cruiser persuasion, though one of my favorites was my 01 SV650 - glorious naked v-twin hellion that it was. That affair ended when I high-sided and snapped my collar-bone - worst six-weeks on the sofa I ever spent. We sold our 03 Kawi Mean Streak to get the Raider. My wife rides an 06 Honda Shadow Spirit 750, and we have a GZ250, for, well, training purposes.

For better or for worse, like most of us, I don't think that the motorcycle manufacturers, with their decades of experience and established R&D departments, do a good enough job building bikes. That being said, the aftermarket is my favorite place to shop, and no bike in my garage stays stock for very long. I can't wait to see what they do for the Raider...

Ride Safe
-Luke

·
Registered
75 Posts
I recently went to one of our local dealers and I sat on most of the bikes I was interested in. The raider in my opinion was one of the most comfortable ones I sat on.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Being on the short side, I've been waiting for a bigger displacement ride that I could feel comfortable on, and Yamaha definitely got the ergos just right. I still went ahead and ordered the Corbin Dual Touring saddle, which lowers the seat height about an inch, and is definitely more comfortable, especially for two-up.

My brother's got a black 109, which absolutely rocks. It's boarding in my garage for the winter.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Haven't had a chance to sit on one but they look great. I think Yamaha hit a home run with the Raider. The styling is really super. Let's see some pics of that bad boy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'll see if I can help you with this one. You need some place on the internet to store your picture file.
I use http://photobucket.com/ If you have your own web site you can put the picture there. Bottom line, it has to be accessible on the web from this forum.

From the page where you image is stored, right click on the image. Select "Copy image location".
Now while you are composing your message, position where you want to put the image.
Now look above at the icons. Just to the right of where it say "Googlevideo", there is an icon with a little picture on it. If you hover over it with your cursor, it will say "Insert Image", click on that and it will paste what looks like this
[ i m g ] [ / i m g ] without the spaces.
Put your cursor in between the 2 brackets ][ , right click and paste.

It will paste the location where your picture resides. Now just try the preview button and see if it works.

That is the easiest way I know how, maybe Darryl nows a better way. Once you do it a couple of times, it is really easy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
dklassen said:

I hear you are considering a new bike?
Yeah, I had 2 in mind. I wish I could buy both, but you know how that is.
Looking at maybe the ZX-14 Kawasaki, the Concourse Kaw, or the BMW touring bike. If I want to kill myself, the ZX is the one, if I want a nice touring bike the BMW would be the best choice. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
If it were me I'd go with the Concourse or the FJR1300. The ZX-14 is a cool bike but my arms and back have long since given up on pure sport bikes. The BMW's are nice but cost a lot of coin.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah that is sensibility talking. Maybe if I could rent one somewhere, just so I could take it out and blast the crap out of it, that would help.

Sensible logic tells me to buy the BMW. They are only about 21K. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
If I was going to spend 21k on a bike it better have Big Dog stamped on the side. ;)

Hey Luke, where's pics of that new ride?

·
Registered
75 Posts
dklassen said:
If I was going to spend 21k on a bike it better have Big Dog stamped on the side. ;)
Now that all depends on if a person plans on riding it or admiring it. :eek: I have had my 109 now 1 year the 9th of this month and I now have just a little over 23K miles on it. I spend more time on my bike than I do driving my truck. If I am going to spend $21K on a motorcycle, it damn sure is going to be something I can ride and not have to have an A$$ transplant every time I hit the long rides. My 109 is very good in the comfort part, we have done numerous 400 plus miles rides, but I want to do some serious touring and a big dog ain't going to get it done. A big dog would be cool for short rides and admiring. ;D

The ZX14 was just a fantasy, just would like to ride one once to fell the power. 150+ mph and mid 9sec. in the quarter. ;D

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I hear ya. The Big Dog ain't no touring rig that's for sure. I guess that's what attracted me to the DL1000, it's a go anywhere do anything bike. Short blasts through the twisties or long hauls across Alaska. Not to mention they're only 9k otd. If I was going for a pure sport touring bike I probably end up with the Yamaha. A new Beemer is out of my range. I have to say that my R90/S was one of my all time favorite bikes. It was probably the first real sport touring bike. When it was new, it was more than twice the cost of anything out there. Wish I still had it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oh yeah, the Black 109. Very nice. That would have been my second choice in color. Black is a very nice color, it is just a pain to have to clean all the time. Have you ridden it?

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Funny you should mention keeping it clean - it's definitely been gathering some "pollen" sitting in the garage over the winter. It's all black now - last Christmas, we pulled the chrome part of headlight cowl and painted it to match the rest of the bike.

Haven't ridden it yet, but now with the Raider, my bro might be willing to trade for a quick trip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts