MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a couple of you have installed new grips. I was curious if you moved the brake, clutch and switch controls in at all? The stock grips are only 4 3/4 inch with the bars only being 4 1/4 to leave room for the end weights to be inserted into the rubber. Most after market grips are 5 1/4 which leaves them hanging an inch over. Not sure if that causes any issues with the throttle side. As well, new grips would shift the weight in on the bars instead of at the ends. I suspect this may cause different feel or vibrations. Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I never touched them, just put the ISO's on and called it a day. no vibrations at all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I saved them by walking into the kitchen and grabing a BBQ skewer for grilling. It's flat metal and long enough to run between the grip and handlebar. Then I basically went around and around till all the glue loosing up. Then it slides right off. I don't know why I saved them, I guess I save every stock item off every bike I do and put stocks into it's own plastic bin.

When putting on new grips be sure to rough-up the left handlebar where the grip is going to slide on with a little sand paper. You can't trust the glue on shinny chrome(too slick) If you don't have the glue for grips you can use "Hair Spray" spray into grip and slide it on handlebar, let set for a little while (It will grab like super glue). good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm the same way Easy. I'm slowly becoming a Yamaha stock accessories shop.

I used a long narrow screw driver and a shot of WD40 to get them off. Took about 2 minutes per grip. New ones look great. I bought some from Show Chrome Accessories. Great feel to them too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts