MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out first hand that the Cobra Swept pipes will scrape if you lean far enough. Came upon an unfamiliar corner a little to fast and had to lean it way over. They will scrape on the straight piece below the motor. But since this is just a heat shield (that still gets hot) so I am not to worried about it. I usually don't lean that far, but this was an extreme case.

·
Registered
219 Posts
how hard were you scraping the foot pegs?

fisher

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hadn't gotten that far. Once it started scraping the shield, I was able to straighten back up

·
Registered
826 Posts
You are not alone on this front I have also scraped my Cobra slash downs in the same spot several times!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
hmmmmmmm I have come very close to scraping my pegs and if this scrapes before the peg than I am a little disappointed. Maybe I will cancel my order before it ships on the 4th?

Have you called Cobra about this? They are usually pretty good about this type of thing.

Hard to believe the slashdowns are doing it also.. I did not think they hung below the frame?

Dammnnnnnn this sucks.. I like the look of the Vance and Hines big Radius but something tells me they are going to be wayyyyy to quiet.

Mortons, blues, Cobra, scrapes and V&H are too quiet WTF! :rant-rave:

·
Registered
538 Posts
I was gonna get the cobra swept pipes but I must say they are not what I really want, too long.
I like the style of the mortons but from what I understand they are kinda junk.
I know I have seen a show raider with slash down pipes like the mortons but they were vance and hines. I am hoping that V/h will come out with these soon.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Might seem silly, but could the rear shock "pre-load" or whatever it is called be at play here.

Are the guys who are scraping pipes before the pegs, heavier than the others?

·
Registered
530 Posts
raider113 said:
Might seem silly, but could the rear shock "pre-load" or whatever it is called be at play here.

Are the guys who are scraping pipes before the pegs, heavier than the others?
I doubt it because in the pictures you can see where the pipe is hanging below the frame...

I just e-mailed cobra about it and asked them if they were aware of this and what if any plans they had to fix it. I will let you know what kind of a reply I get

·
Registered
42 Posts
I posted this same problem on another forum I have scraped 2 times already in about 60 miles after i installed them It used to be my pegs now the pipes hit before the pegs. This is not good You can see the scraped pipe while it is on the kickstand. Guess the mortons wern't so bad after all at least thet are going to fix their problems?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Whats funny is that the image Cobra had on their website of the swepts which showed the pipes well above the frame on the raider has been modified to reflect the lower leading pipe.

·
Registered
499 Posts
desertraider said:
I was gonna get the cobra swept pipes but I must say they are not what I really want, too long.
I like the style of the mortons but from what I understand they are kinda junk.
I know I have seen a show raider with slash down pipes like the mortons but they were vance and hines. I am hoping that V/h will come out with these soon.
I talked to someone at V&H... they said that they do not have plans on making those slash downs (Big Radius).. only their Big Radius 2 into 1 for the Raider.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hey guys,
I have scraped while in a moderate to heavy lean on the bike 3 times now with my slashdows, the pipes hit before the pegs will, the only saving grace for me is that you can't see the scrapes when the bike is on the stand. I never did say anything to Cobra about it but in hindsight probably should have. I have been riding alot more conservative after i found this out the hard way. As far as the preload I weigh about 225 so if that helps anyone good luck.

·
Registered
530 Posts
soonerfanru2 said:
I posted this same problem on another forum I have scraped 2 times already in about 60 miles after i installed them It used to be my pegs now the pipes hit before the pegs. This is not good You can see the scraped pipe while it is on the kickstand. Guess the mortons wern't so bad after all at least thet are going to fix their problems?
Well Mortons did not give in easily.. Give Cobra time... They probably are not even aware of the situation yet.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I just sent Cobra an email detailing the problem, I will report back if I hear anything from them.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Thanks, this is very important info. I already scpare my pegs too often. I sure don't want any "hard parts" hanging lower than the pegs. Please keep us posted on Cobras response.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Just for the record here are the original and new pics.

Original Pic

New Pic

·
Registered
634 Posts
I was thinking about ordering my pipes this next week! Good thing I kept procrastinating on getting the money together to get them...I scratch my pegs a few times a week, so I'm gonna hold off, I'd rather scratch the pegs than the pipes!!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am not really worried about it. I am not that aggresive of a rider. I like to Cruise and enjoy the scenery. An unlike the mortons, thse are only scraping the heat shield. Morton's scrapes the pipe, unless you get the optional heat shield.

·
Registered
22 Posts
FYI...I spoke with Andre with Cobra's Customer Service and Engineering Department and let him know of the dragging issues and he said he was very appreciative to get the call. He said he would get back with me and I will post any news in reference to the Cobra Swept Exhaust Dragging issue.

Remember Gang, Together We Can Make a Difference! ;D

Sparky Out!

P.S. Andre did call back as promised and they have read all the remarks and are definitely looking into it. He also said there is a possibly they are looking into coming up with some pipes in the style we are petitioning Vance and Hines to hopefully make.
I was impressed with his honesty and concerns about bluing issues with the pipe style we are all interested in with the petition.

Ride Safe and Hopefully in the future we will have a choice of some awesome pipes.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts