MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I installed the Cobra Swepts and they look great but the O2 Sensor is to short. The factory suggested I add the fuel processor to make up that short distance and also maintain the proper fuel mixture. I rode my Raider with the sensor un-hooked and there was to much poppong and backfiring. My question is if I lengthen the wires and plug back into the factory plug will the popping and backfiring go away? Or do I need the Cobra fuel processor. Thanks.

Dragonman

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Hey Dragonman -

welcome!

Several of the guys here have found it necessary to lengthen with sensor wire when installing the Cobra's, and been successful.

The stock ECU on the Raider is pretty flexible and able to accomodate aftermarket pipes without an aftermarket FI module. Start adding high-flow intake kits and the story starts to change.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just installed the swepts today and did not have to lengthen any wires... just rerouted them like the instructions said and I was golden. I do suppose however that some O2 wires could be shorter from the factory for whatever reason. All that being said, I did scrape the pipes while cornering on an on ramp at a mere 35mph... needless to say I had to wait until the very short but straight merge lane approached before I could muster up to the 65-70mph needed to merge in with traffic. I have already emailed Cobra about my experience and hope to hear something in the near future.

Pics before and after install...
http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/ii126/almisty05/

Al

·
Registered
826 Posts
Just my $.02 if you are lengthening the stock wires please use solder for all connections and no but connectors.You can add a little heat shrink tubing and it will last forever and you don't have to worry about connections coming lose causing a check engine light.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am thinking that those peeps who had to cut their stock O2's - probably didn't install the exhaust correctly... if you MAKE SURE that you tap the "mufflers" into the head-pipes fully and line everything up correctly, route the O2 correctly... you should have room to SPARE with or without a fuel controller.

I would just follow the instructions listed on the Cobra install rather than cutting/splicing.

You will continue to pop until you get to a proper AFR.

Even the "stock" settings for Cobra's Fi2000R O2 unit are too lean (17-16:1) for the bike... which STILL causes popping until you up the fuel.

Re-route behind the frame and over the swing-arm per the instructions and get a fuel controller.

KEEP IN MIND that Cobra's fuel controller connects to both stock O2 male and female connections - which will give you an extra inch or so to play with when it comes to room... so cutting your stock O2 may not be necessary when properly re-routed to the new fuel controller.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was able to move so wires around and plugged in my 02 sensor. the bike runs great with no problems! Thanks for all the tips. Have a safe weekend.

Dragonman

1 - 7 of 7 Posts