MBF Motorcycle Forums banner

chrome stripes on the sides of the gas tank

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  nitro 
#1 ·
Has anybody try to remove the chrome stripes on the sides of the gas tank? If I try, I don't want to mess up the paint.

#2 ·
Try heat from a hair dryer set on low or medium to soften the adhesive. Pass the heat back and forth a be patient don't rush it and keep the heat gun back away from the paint alittle. should come with alittle persuation. I have used dental floss behind the chrome to help pull it off. Keep from prying with any metal object ruin the paint for sure. keep using the dental floss even if you have to keep tearing off new pieces. slow and patient name of the game.

#6 ·
I used the hair dryer and dental floss trick and it did pretty well. The rest of the the tape, I removed with some 3M tape remover I got from AutoZone. I DID however, get a small chip of the paint on the very front. It was my fault, to impatient. I contacted Yamaha and they hooked me up with the company that sells the matching paint. All is well now.... BTW, the red bikes use two layers, a gray then a red, of course then clearcoat.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.