MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems strange to me that star decided to just leave the chrome off of the ignition cover. Everything else is chrome and this thing sticks out like a sore thumb!
I know I can buy the one from yamaha but it doesn't match the smooth chrome of the rest of the covers and I don't want to buy all the covers to match right now. Is there anywhere to buy a smooth ignition cover.
thanks

·
Registered
826 Posts
I was actually wondering the same thing. It seems I remember awhile back that someone posted that the Roadi or the Strat had one that was smooth chrome. Anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The stratoliner must not be chrome either. I looked them up on the micro fiche and the part number is the same for both the raider and the stratoliner.
1D7-15423-00-00
I am guessing from this that they are the same...not chromed. Darn ???

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am still looking for this cover in chrome despite sleepercell trying to hijack this thread. Does anybody make chrome for this part?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
coyote said:
I had a Stratoliner-s and all I remember was the sliding cover was chrome.
What is the sliding cover?
I am talking about the ignition cover. Is the one on the stratoliner chrome?

·
Registered
157 Posts
desertraider said:
coyote said:
I had a Stratoliner-s and all I remember was the sliding cover was chrome.
What is the sliding cover?
I am talking about the ignition cover. Is the one on the stratoliner chrome?
Sorry man. I thought you were talking about the ignition switch. I believe the part your pointing to is chrome on the Stratoliner-S model.
The *liners have a sliding cover over the ignition switch.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sorry desertraider was not tring to hijack the thread I was just offering an option to go keyless. Im used to riding bikes that you take the key out of when using so I leave mine in the bike when I park. I am thinking of going keyless or something

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please, Doesn't anyone here have a roadliner/stratoliner S that can tell me if their ignition cover is chrome or not?

·
Registered
826 Posts
DR,
I polished mine last night because I was tired of looking for a chrome cover and didn't want to send mine in cause I didn't want any down time. I think it turned out pretty well and only took a little over an hour from start to finish. You may want to give it a try.

·
Registered
826 Posts
1st Easy Off oven cleaner to remove paint an anodizing
2nd a Ultra Fine wire wheel on my bench grinder to get any left over anodizing off
3rd red buffing compound on a buffing wheel on the grinder
4th Final shine white rouge on a new buffing wheel
5th clean off the polishing rouge and cleaned with chrome cleaner.

Did my belt guard the same way. may do the swing arm that way while the wheels are out for chrome this winter.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sounds hard. I guess I would have to ride up to Hays so you could polish mine. How bout' it?

VB

·
Registered
826 Posts
You make the trip and buy the beer and I will polish it up for you!!
Its not to bad at all if you have the right tools for the job.

·
Registered
267 Posts
eian31 said:
Its not to bad at all if you have the right tools for the job.
You said it... I have no tools, and I am mechanically declined. But, the next trip I am taking towards Hays, I will contact you about a week before and may be we can get together on this. Thanks bro.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts