MBF Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't have more money than brains. If I did I'd have a $26,000 Harley that can't compare to my Raider at all in any way. So being with a limited bugdet and some resourcefulness to dress out my bagger and add some little things to help out, I came up with a few things that might be of use to other members. The nut cover is a silconed binocular lens cap. Cruise control is an o-ring that simply overcomes the return spring, but doesn't effect ridability. The generic trims from Autozone can really be stuck almost anywhere. The backrest is made from a cut up stock Raider buddy seat to form the custom solo-pad. The seat flaps are from scrap leather and chrome bullet accents from a local arts and craft store. The mud flaps under the bags are rubber pads from Lowes that I cut to form a flowing curve to show off the shape of the Corbin hard bags. Putting your gas cap on the front brake lever slot will keep it off the pump and seat where it eventually falls from, hitting the pavement. Rerouting stock hydraulic lines behind the front end gives you a good bit of extra length, if you're thinking of changing bars, and rerouting the throttle cables is easy too. Also use fine grade bronze wool to finish cleaning off your chrome and to remove your wife's melted shoe marks from your pipes. If I had deep pockets I'd do a few things differently but not much different. The money saved goes along way elsewhere, like trips to our recent rally in Asheville NC to meet the great members on our forum. No regrets at all!

·
Registered
174 Posts
handle bar swap

I have some handle bars I want to put on my Raider. How did you route your cables and lines? The handle bars will not allow internal routing. Pics would be great.

Randy

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a few pics of the mods.

My wiring did eventually go thru the bars but with great difficulty and hours of labor. The hose job should be easier to see here. Forgive the dirty bike from the rain today. I just went out in the garage and took a few more detail shots to help you see a little better. Also Glen Canyon is so colorful, beautiful and awesome to see that I did it twice and will go back again. I also want to say I think your shot should be the Calendar Cover photo! Nice composition, contrasts, angles, colors, and your bike is so sweet! Good choice of destinations and taking the time to get a shot like that. I live for this kind of stuff. Hope all this helps. Congrats.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As you see it's nothing but an o-ring that settles between the twist grip shoulder and the switch housing. It just sits there and does nothing else. The resistance is only enough to over come the return spring tension but not enough to really feel much difference in shifting up or down or casual cruising. Just roll it over the grip until it seats in the space then forget about it. I won't do a long ride without it! Short putts are no problem but if you would rather have it off, then just roll it it back out of the groove that it sits in. No tools and a 5 second install at a traffic light.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
As you see it's nothing but an o-ring that settles between the twist grip shoulder and the switch housing. It just sits there and does nothing else. The resistance is only enough to over come the return spring tension but not enough to really feel much difference in shifting up or down or casual cruising. Just roll it over the grip until it seats in the space then forget about it. I won't do a long ride without it! Short putts are no problem but if you would rather have it off, then just roll it it back out of the groove that it sits in. No tools and a 5 second install at a traffic light.
Nice trick!!! You wouldnt happen to remember off hand what size O-ring??

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it's an 1.75" ID and 3/16" thick for the Kuryakyn grips that I use, but any other grip would likely use a smaller ID but close or the same thickness. Stock grips need about an 1.5". Got mine at Ace Hardware for less than $3. An equipment mechanic would have one you could use and one member even posted that he was able to get the moisture seal o-ring from a vitamin bottle to work too, even tho it was a flat sided one. As long as it gives the amount of resistance to barely overcome the throttle return, than you can use whatever works. I just posted an idea that works nicely and effectively. It's great being able to just relax for an indefinite period of time on longer runs! My next Saddle Sore Run will be a walk in the park. I can roll thru it easily to adjust 1 or 2 mph, can pore it on [if I want to blow away the other guy] back off slowly or any other riding technique with it in place. You forget it's there.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Yes, it's an 1.75" ID and 3/16" thick for the Kuryakyn grips that I use, but any other grip would likely use a smaller ID but close or the same thickness. Stock grips need about an 1.5". Got mine at Ace Hardware for less than $3. An equipment mechanic would have one you could use and one member even posted that he was able to get the moisture seal o-ring from a vitamin bottle to work too, even tho it was a flat sided one. As long as it gives the amount of resistance to barely overcome the throttle return, than you can use whatever works. I just posted an idea that works nicely and effectively. It's great being able to just relax for an indefinite period of time on longer runs! My next Saddle Sore Run will be a walk in the park. I can roll thru it easily to adjust 1 or 2 mph, can pore it on [if I want to blow away the other guy] back off slowly or any other riding technique with it in place. You forget it's there.
Sweet thank you sir for the heads up!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally Posted by gostr8r
As you see it's nothing but an o-ring that settles between the twist grip shoulder and the switch housing. It just sits there and does nothing else.

I finally broke down and went to Ace and spent $.49 for my "gostrcruise". I needed a little extra thick 0-ring due to the wide gap. Works great just need to get used to it. Thanks gostr!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're welcome, The stock grips need about a 1.5" and as thick as you can get it. Nordicsoul found a nice little o-ring kit, for faucets or some kind of plumbing, that had a good fit and was again very cost effective.If you can learn to relax as you ride you'll get to where you love it. It keeps those numb paws to a minimum. Glad to help!

·
Registered
295 Posts
You did good, but I'm sure those bags and fairing weren't cheap. They sure look good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ghost,

Do you rub the bronze wool directly on the exhaust and scrub it clean, do you need water as you rub..just want to clean without scratching.

I appreciate all your smart remedies and mods. Great to have someone looking out for everyone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts