MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received a Beta Test model from Buck who's well known in motorcycle circles as a long time scooter driver, and is now a one man accessory manufacturer: http://home.twmi.rr.com/bikepics/

As his site shows he makes lots of bike stuff, and now wants to expand to the Raider line...I used his lowers and oil filter protector on my Stratoliner, and was pleased how it stopped the updraft that comes under the windshield and rises around the tank behind a windshield, if there's one installed...bikers with that updraft often have to look through their beards while driving, and it causes helmet buffeting.

So, after I get it installed and tested in a few days I'll report...need to figure out how to do digital pics yet and post them here so others can see what this great accessory is all about.

Gary in Fairbanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Glad to hear you're doing tests on them. Buck emailed me a couple weeks ago about the possibility of testing his lowers with my sportech shield but I never heard back from him. Guess he figured not many are using this shield. Anyway, hope you can also post a couple pics of them mounted on the raider when you get time. thanks
Pete

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Pete and good to hear of your interest for Buck's Lowers...I just bugged him more than you maybe for a sample to try is all...I also had a set on my Liner so I guess that will allow me some reference if I can remember that long ago.

I have the Yamaha Tall shield and mounts...the shield is way too narrow for me and Rifle will make me (and others after) a larger one if I send them mine for a pattern...long way from Alaska but may do it soon.

Right now I'm getting ready to drill the clear polycarbonate deflectors, and have been on the phone with Buck trying to get his take on placement...he likes up and out as far as possible, considering aesthetics...I like them up and in with their inside edge in a median line over the fork centerline which places them even with the windshield lower inside edge...I may prevail seeing as how I got the drill and he's a long ways away and can't 2x4 me from behind (kidding).

There's a one piece stainless center section that bolts to the lower two attaching bolt holes for either the Yamaha brackets, or without the brackets if say you use National Cycle's new windshield that they will soon have in production...they make Yamaha's shield but can't make replacement plastic because of a sales agreement with Yamaha (I asked)...to the center piece are attached the two clear panels that go in front of the turn signals and down to the lower forks...clearance to front of the turn signals with them attached behind the center section is a close 3/8" so I may have to mount them on the front of that stainless panel...they'll look good either way.

I might have to make a series of holes and test...I also plan to run with only one side on to look for any differences in airflow...that's a bit anal but can't help it as too old to change.

I'll post more as the experiment progresses, and I could use some advice on how to post pics here please, anyone, or lead me to where the instructions are.

Gary in Fairbanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First ride report: Installed Buck's lowers and rode 20 mi up to 80 mph...90% of the buffeting and wind noise behind the Yamaha Tall shield is now gone due to the lowers...it's almost calm from the top of my knees to about 3" over my open face helmet for my 5'9" frame on a Corbin solo seat.

The narrow 19x19" yamaha shield is now the limiting factor for comfort...need to get with Rifle fairings to have a 20"Tx24"W made...on the to-do list.

Will ask Buck to make a few small changes to panel dimensions to test again, but driving a second time with one off and one on convinced me the side without the lowers adds significant turbulence versus the other with.

Time for beers.

Gary in Fairbanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Final post on this...sent Buck the hole drill pattern from my lowers today...I had to drill the polycarbonate panel bracket mounts to allow a fit 1/4" away from the Yamaha windshield brackets, and line up inside with the Yamaha shield cutout around the headlight...also took pics to e-mail Buck.

He'll likely finalize the pattern, hardware list, and install instructions soon...give him a holler if you're interested at: http://home.twmi.rr.com/bikepics/

If you don't have the Yamaha windshield mounts and use another shield, installing the lowers will be just as easy...Buck talks about offering a couple of stand-off spacers (to simulate the Yamaha mounts) to set the lowers the required distance (about 3/4-1") in front of the lower triple clamp where they mount enough to clear the turn signals behind them and the lower front shock plastic debris shields...the turn signals shine through the clear shields and that makes the air protection better than a cutout I believe.

The only way they're coming off my bike is if somebody steals 'em.

Gary in Fairbanks

PS: I've already paid Buck for his fine product.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts