MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious - this is my first NEW bike. So i'm not entirely sure about the rules of taking it out on the expressway. The weather is supposed to be great this Sunday and there is a benefit for a fallen biker (now paralyzed) and a LOT of us from my job are riding to the benefit. It's a bit of a scoot - so we're all taking the expressway.

What is the basic rule about taking a fresh mill on the highway? No-go? A-OK?

Vary my speed/RPM's every few minutes?

What about hopping hard on it (you know... twisting that wrist) every once in a while?

I've built plenty of dragsters as a teenager growing up - most of my "breaking in" has been done on the drag strip, lol. Not sure if the same "general" driving rules apply to bikes, as well.

The book says to avoid "prolonged" operation above 1/3 throttle. Does that mean I can't throw down some WOT every now and again? OR is it OK to accelerate fast - but not keep it pinned for too long? hey... 105-ft lbs to the rear wheel is fun... i mean... you know... a huge attraction of the bike ;)

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
The rules according to Yamaha and my dealer are as follows:

First 600 miles (up to first service), no sustained riding above 1/3 throttle. Short bursts of jubilation are no problem.
600 - 1000 miles, no more than 1/2 throttle.
Above 1000 - let 'er rip.

Highway riding is not a problem. Basically you'll be able to cruise along in top gear with the throttle barely open, and the engine will be perfectly happy.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesomeness, NJ.

I'm really good with cars and it's pretty much the same process... but, like I said, I've never had a new bike so I wasn't all too sure if the same rules applied.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
326 Posts
yeah the raider will run 80,85 in 5th with about a 1/4 throttle. and it will run up over 100 somewhere around 1/2. ;D

·
Registered
343 Posts
I haven't gotten mine above a 100 yet. I'm waiting until a 1000 miles and then let it go. I got 914 on it now, so I think after tomorrow's ride it will be time. ;D

·
Registered
826 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was a very interesting read. That's kinda like what I used to do with my cars when I was younger... like I said - I used to break in everything on the drag strip, lol. Interesting to see that same theory applied to bikes. Never thought about it that way.

·
Registered
826 Posts
That was pretty much my response as well after reading it. So that is how I broke in the Raider, I figured oh well if something happens at least its under warranty. So I took it out on the highway with about 10 miles on it and made sure it was good and warm and pushed her through the gears and then down shifted and let the motor slow the bike. Then immediatley came home and changed the oil (be careful she is HOT) I strained the oil and did not see much of anything in the way of left over millings. I have no idea if it did what he says it should but his logic made sense to me, I don't plan on breaking down the motor anytime soon but if I ever do I will take a look at the pistons for sure.

I guess only time will tell, until then ride it like you stole it guess!!
LOL

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
eian31 said:
That was pretty much my response as well after reading it. So that is how I broke in the Raider, I figured oh well if something happens at least its under warranty. So I took it out on the highway with about 10 miles on it and made sure it was good and warm and pushed her through the gears and then down shifted and let the motor slow the bike. Then immediatley came home and changed the oil (be careful she is HOT) I strained the oil and did not see much of anything in the way of left over millings. I have no idea if it did what he says it should but his logic made sense to me, I don't plan on breaking down the motor anytime soon but if I ever do I will take a look at the pistons for sure.

I guess only time will tell, until then ride it like you stole it guess!!
LOL
Many of my friends agree with the article. I asked a bunch today what they thought about it and they agreed with the article. The old days was about the hot/cold processes of the motor - to make sure all gaskets, seals, bolts, etc seat properly. Nowadays stuff is made so perfect with machining and testing that everything is already properly torqued, seals are placed that allow expansion, etc... so there really is no "settling" of anything.

So the only thing left is the piston rings. And sure as heck like with my old drag cars - the best way to seat those baddies is by running it like crazy.

I put on 300 miles in the past 2 days of riding and I'm pretty sure she's well broken in. Loving the heck out of it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well got mine over 1000 now after todays ride. I let it open on the highway and got it up to 125. i was riding with my buddy who has a Night trian and blew him away. that HD has nothing on the Raider. At the starts and on the highway, he couldn't keep up with the Beast. Even at the high of speeds, the Raider handles really well. It's like a crotch rocket without all that plastic crap. Love the Raider. Such a great machine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I love my bones too much I guess.
But I've had miine to 110 and sure am glad to know that the Raider will do much more with out any problems.

GC

·
Registered
343 Posts
It has enough power even at speeds like that, you know that there is more. And yes I like my bones too, but it never hurt to have some fun ever now and then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts