MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Blacked out the belt guard and need oponions. Ya or Na. Cause I can just wipe it off with lacquer thinner..Thanks Jack

·
Registered
373 Posts
busajack said:

Blacked out the belt guard and need oponions. Ya or Na. Cause I can just wipe it off with lacquer thinner..Thanks Jack
Hey Jack, I think that looks really fgood on that blacked out raider. might be good t opowdeer coat it so the rocks don't beat up the paint though. IMO my .02

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have been thinking about doing that. I like it!
My neighbor bought a powder coating kit from Harbor Freight for around $70 or $80. He showed me some of the stuff he did. It looks professional. The bad thing is that you have to heat the part for 15 minutes @ 400 degrees. I would have to wait till his wife is gone so we could use the oven! :)

Anyway, if you are interested, here is the link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94244

·
Registered
67 Posts
Looks great! (Did mine also in black powdercoat 20% shine a month ago) Really didn't care for the Silver as that's the first thing my wife said when she looked back there.

Gary in Fairbanks

·
Registered
343 Posts
That looks really good. Was thinking about that myself, but been paying for other things (would like to put some more money in the bike though. :coolsmiley:

·
Registered
640 Posts
NJRaider said:
Absolutely :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

What did you use?
Did mine the day I got the bike a couple of months ago. I used flat black spray paint after I scuffed it up with a scotch brite pad and some steel wool.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Looks awesome! Now that I see your pics - I'm going to do the same!

Awesome job and I would heed Wa's advice - powder coat it for protection!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Definitely powder coat!!!
I also did mine the same way about a month ago and already starting to loose paint.

GC

·
Registered
826 Posts
Well I have the S but I have to say for you Raven guys this looks much better than stock!!

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
I know what I'm doing this weekend...

coyote said:
The bad thing is that you have to heat the part for 15 minutes @ 400 degrees. I would have to wait till his wife is gone so we could use the oven! :)
Yeah, but what happens when she comes home?

Sniff...
sniff...
"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU COOKING IN HERE?"

·
Registered
826 Posts
I had a buddy who bought a used one from the classifieds for dirt cheap, put it in his garage and thats all he uses it for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
looks nice on a black bike. For all others I say just remove it, I did and much cleaner looking now.

·
Registered
157 Posts
NJRaider said:
I know what I'm doing this weekend...

coyote said:
The bad thing is that you have to heat the part for 15 minutes @ 400 degrees. I would have to wait till his wife is gone so we could use the oven! :)
Yeah, but what happens when she comes home?

Sniff...
sniff...
"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU COOKING IN HERE?"
That is about what happened. throw in a few more 4 leter words. I left about then.....

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys. Hi dear whats for dinner? Ah satin black belt guards with mac and cheese..LMAO..NJ I just use rustolium BarBQ flat black and have used it on the header pipes right at the head on the rocket.They glow red at night and the paint has held up for over three years.Best thing is you can touch up stuff and it matches perfect.I use it to see if I like something like the belt guard and can take it off with lacquer thinner if I dont like it.After you heat it (like on exhuast) it wont wipe off.It has a ceramic in it so its like a cheap powder coat but powdercoat will not with stand exhuast temps unless the right kind is used.
The black under the chrome covers. :wave:

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These pipes are also BBQ flat black.The spray cans are getting much better than in the past.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Initially i planned to get rid of the guards, but because of you guys and your input i'll leave em on. Instead of paint I want to have mine anodized black to be done with it and not to worry about chipping in the future.
When I get mine done in the next couple weeks I'll post pictures.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts