MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know this may be a stupid question, but what is best to clean the dead bugs and junk from the chrome and paint? Sorry, my previously-owned bikes from 15 years ago weren't worth cleaning. I know there are all kinds of pastes and potions at the auto parts store but before I go experimenting I thought I would check with all of you. What do you use?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Honda Bite spray cleaner from the stealer, and a mico fiber towl. Never use anything but a clean micro fiber towl on the bike. If they get droped or dirty don't use them on the bike anymore. Thats all you need.

·
Registered
499 Posts
A good rubbing compound and a stiff wire brush... ;D

I use microfiber towels myself... :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I make sure I keep a good coat of wax on EVERYTHING (except the non-shiny parts) - I even make sure to wax my headlamp and mirrors. When I get home I usually take a damp towel to the front end to get them off before I ride out next.

Next step is usually a California duster to the rest of the bike - to take the brake dust off.

I also purchased a few small soft foam paintbrushes (the cheap 39 cent kind) - this way when I wash the bike I can use these to dig into those nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Ninja....

Great idea about those foam paintbrushes... I'll have to remember that.

thanks...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hey does anyone use the Mr Clean wash system.. I just bought it 2 weeks ago and used it on the Raider last week.. It does a great job and does not leave any drip marks as it uses DI water for the final rinse.

Then a buddy at work told me that DI water will make metal rust much faster than regular water. Not sure I buy that but I will research it.

I usually fully wash the bike 1-2 times a month. the rest of the time I just use some Honda Brite and a lint free rag, maybe I should get a micro fiber though from the sound of it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm a clean fanatic so it gets a good cleaning after each ride. So far I've found a little hot breath (hint-drink Starbucks while cleaning) and a microfiber towel and thats all it needs. Cleans it up nicely. The break dust is a pain in the ass though. My wife walked in the garage last night and I was laying on the side breathing on the pipes, rag in hand...she thought I was making love to it. Of course, these days my raider gets more attention than she does. haha

·
Registered
67 Posts
Got bugs? Get Scrubbing Bubbles bathroom cleaner...spray on, let soak, rinse off the bugs...used successfully on the last five of my scooters for bug removal and general cleaning.

Alaska, where bugs are big and bikes are covered with them.

Gary in Fairbanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
I fear the "touch up cleanings" cause larger than micro scratches, due to the layers of road dust and dirt equating to abrasive particles, rubbed into the finish with a cloth. It may not look like it, but althought the bike may look great after the touch ups, fine scratches and haze marks will show up over time, especially under a lamp at night.I have seen some proud Harley owners whose bikes looked very clean,dueto the fact they always kept a rag in hand, but looked as though they literally took sand paper to the chromed parts, especially the pipes. I either wash it down,blow dry, then wax and polish, or just leave it alone.

·
Registered
82 Posts
busajack is the "mr. clean" of motorcycles. yeah--the guy with carpet in garage. ya'll pm him to put his secrets on here. his bikes look "better" than showroom clean!! ---check out his photos. --john

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.