MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forum today, but have been reading the blogs for the past several weeks. Very informative and seems everyone is enthused about helping and providing inputs. I picked up my Raider S. Thursday and absolutely love it. Rides better than I thought it would.

I'm going to change the stock exhaust out and have boiled it down to Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 1 and the Cobra Swepts. Wondering what you guys think about these style wise, quality and performance.

http://meancycles.com/Home.asp?PartID=213626&BikeType=Cruiser&BikeModelID=5781
http://meancycles.com/Home.asp?PartID=213554&BikeType=Cruiser&BikeModelID=5781

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey Roch, My personal opinion I like the looks of the swept pipes better. They follow the lines of the bike better. I am not really a fan of 2 into 1 pipes either. Got my swepts ordered should be on the way next week

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Hey Rochester -

Glad to have you on board - welcome to the forum!

Opinions are going to vary greatly on style - it's such a personal thing. Opinions will be diverse on quality as well - truth be told both companies are veterans in the exhaust business and know how to build a quality pipe. The Cobra's offer a great combination of style, quality and decent performance.

Experience as shown that if performance is your primary concern, a 2-into-1 system is usuallly a better bet. The Cobra's do have a small crossover that conceiveably offers some of the benefits of a 2-1, but I doubt it's as effective as a true 2-1. In all the tests I've seen, crossovers do not offer the same benefits, even when the pipes being compared are from the same manufacturer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will definitely come down to personal preference.

WA - Where did you order your swepts from? I see from earlier discussions you ordered the FI system too. Some sites you can "pre-order" them, but I don't find them on the Cobra site yet. But they do have the FI for it. Strange.

·
Registered
72 Posts
hello I'm thinkink about changing my exhaust to the Vance Hines big radius 2into1,
like the look, i dont no how they sound.if you go with them can you let me no
how you like them.thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
If they sound anything like the Hard Krome 2 into 1, they're awsome!!!!

GC

·
Registered
373 Posts
My Swepts com in next tuesday. Will have them on on Wednesday. Talked to Brian at PowersportSuperstore.com. Says he still has three sets in stock. When they are gone,. nobody is getting any more until late may.

·
Registered
154 Posts
And I'm out here just waiting for you guys to weigh in on all of the above.
I like the Vance and Hines, I love the Cobra swepts. But, I need to hear them
both on the Raider. I would really like to hear them in person.
So, when you get them loaded up, please let us know where you are and perhaps
we can rally to hear them.
I think the pipe builders are being taken by storm on this one. No one expected this 1900 to do as well
as it is. The Stratoliners and Roadliners just didnt' sell well across the board. I know of a local dealer who has a Pearl White Roadliner from 06 and a Midnight one as well. They are discounting like crazy now.

Please post some videos of the sound guys. Best

Ken

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spent a lot of time going back and forth on the two systems. I decided to go with the Swepts as well. Overall look just goes better with the bike.

I took Wa's advice and called Brian at powersportsuperstore.com. Got confirmation that they shipped yesterday. I expect the FIFI2000R C/L to arrive shortly as well.

Wa - Are you getting the FI at the same time as the exhaust? Curious if you're going to install the pipes without the FI unit. I know I'll going nutts when the pipes get here with no FI.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hey Roch, I ordered them together, but there was a inventory snafu and they were out, so I am getting the pipes first and the FI will come after. Hoopefully in the next week. Kinda makes it easier, I don't have to worry about putting 2 things on at once. concentrate on the pipes and then the FI when it comes in. I don't know if I can wait for the pipes. Might have to get in the truck and go meet the UPS guy LOLOLOL

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know, I called Brian and told him I'd paid extra to get them here quicker. But I was too late, they were out the door.

I've heard the O2 sensor may self adjust without the FI. I'm concerned it may not run correctly until the cobra FI is installed???

·
Registered
326 Posts
it will run fine my pipes are a lot shorter than the cobras and i dont have a fi or anything on it, and i believe there is more power also, but just going by the seat of the pants feel ;D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, good to know. At least I can enjoy the pipes right away. Then get to the FI later which should provide some performance improvements. Cobra's Dyno chart has signicant gains in torque and hp.

·
Registered
220 Posts
ao said:
it will run fine my pipes are a lot shorter than the cobras and i dont have a fi or anything on it, and i believe there is more power also, but just going by the seat of the pants feel ;D
This is troo - since we have O2 sensors - the only thing pipes will do is cause your factory PCM to adjust fuel settings back to a lean mixture.

the fuel controller is good to help richen up the a/f ratios. We run lean from factory for emissions. Richening it up will increase power, smooth out the throttle and help the engine run cooler than it does.

Not necessarily recommended right off the bat with just pipes - but if you go with any kind of intake - even just a K&N replacement filter - a controller is recommended.

The Swepts are now for sale, as well. all over eBay.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ninja..Thanks for the tip on the swepts on Ebay. Ordered mine today and should be shipping out within 2 days...Whoo Hooo.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey Yall..new to the site...sold my VTX for a black beauty and will be de-chroming it bit by bit....first off I need pipes....pipes like it ao's.....ao what are those pipes? I found a set on mortons that look similar. I need input asap as i wanna rip these bloated factory pipes off next week. Also you said the following [it will run fine my pipes are a lot shorter than the cobras and i dont have a fi or anything on it, and i believe there is more power also, but just going by the seat of the pants feel ] are you saying that your bike runs fines with the factory closed loop system and thos short pipes with a set of torque cones? no issues? PLease advise when you have a moment. THanks in advance to all...Ride hard, but ride safe.

Aaron [EVILVTWIN]

1 - 20 of 33 Posts