MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a thread about one of the finer points in riding the Raider ... how the bike handles depending upon the tire pressures (esp. the rear tire).

But first, I have to get up on my soapbox. Why is it that tire manufacturers have to print enormous amounts of meaningless symbols and garbage on the sides of tires??? Does anybody ever read this stuff? Heck no! What is it that you want to know when you go to put air in your tires? Just the inflation pressure, right?! Why is it that I always find myself crawling around on the asphalt at the gas station, squinting at the tire and trying to find the tiny little words that say .... 42 psi? Beats me! Do these tire people all live on Mars?!!! Why don't they just print big letters on the side of the tire that say "Hey Dirtwad, Pump It Up To 42 psi!".

Anyway ... back to the point of this thread.
I was riding my Raider around some curves today just for fun. And it kept feeling like the bike was not quite handling like it did the week before. Nothing big. Just subtle. The rear tire was just a little more "tippy" in those turns. Not quite the same feeling of traction I had before. Then I realized ... Oh yeah. I just pumped the tires up to 42 psi. So they're a bit firmer now.

So, my guess is that if you want the bike to corner at its best, you probably want that rear tire pressure down lower. Like 40 psi ... 38 psi. Somewhere lower. I'll keep experimenting with it and let you know what I find out.

In the mean time, if anyone else has played around with the tire pressures and thinks they've found a "sweet spot" for cornering, please add a comment.

distantThunder

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
What your reading on the tire is max pressure for that tire. The pressure recomended for your bike is in the owners manual. Which no one reads. Unbelieveable:wallbashsmilie::wallbashsmilie:

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
The pounds per square inch (psi) pressure number branded on the tire's sidewall identifies the maximum cold inflation pressure that specific tire is rated to hold. However, the tire's maximum pressure is not necessarily the correct pressure for every vehicle upon which the tire can be used (almost all vehicle manufacturers' recommended tire inflation pressures are less than the tires' maximum pressure.:wallbashsmilie:

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Remember that the pressure printed on the tire does not take into consideration the particular bike on which the tire is installed, or the conditions under which you ride.

This is why the info printed in the manual (or in some cases the swingarm label) inevitably varies from the info embossed on the tire (for the tire).

Also remember that tire pressure should always be measured with the tire cold. I would be very careful adjusting tire pressure downward. In addition to the tread, much of a tires handling characteristics (not to mention its ability to support the bike) comes from the sidewall, which is in turn supported by air. Too little air in the tire will lead to floppy handling. An improperly inflated tire also tends to overheat.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like you guys got me. Yeah ... I could actually check the manual. That might help :)

Sounds like the pressure in my rear is pretty close to what's recommended. Yamaha recommends 41 psi, max is 42 psi. The front pressure is substantially different though (36 recommended, 42 max). I'll adjust that and see if that makes a difference to the cornering performance.

I need to re-read the manual and see how detailed the tire advice actually is. I would think that ideal tire pressures would be different for the case of a single rider vs. rider plus passenger. Also, I wonder if there is a minimum inflation pressure specified for the tires (definitely there is a minimum ... but I mean, does anyone actually say what it is)?

distantThunder

·
Registered
671 Posts
Hey Jack,
Owners Manuals are for sissies.......:lol_sign: :diggin_smilie:

Take Care.....Rob

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Rob then Iam a sissy.AH..If you guys would take the owners manual with ya to the potty instead of Husler and Playboy over half the questions on this site wouldn't be here. Ive just about got the service manual memorised too. Then when you talk to the (TECHs) ,love that term, you can tell when they are BSing you. Had a Rocket tech tell my friend he needed his clutch master cyl rebuilt. HIMMMM the rocket has a cable clutch. OWWWLLL:261::261::disgruntal_sign:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts