MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just removed both the upper and lower belt guards. Sure did clean up the rear of my scoot. I tried the blackout first when I got my Raider Wednesday. What an eyesore that thing was. Only part of bike that I didnt like from the start. Why didnt Star make them smaller and Chrome to start with? ???

·
Registered
57 Posts
How hard was it to remove the lower belt guard,i removed the upper the day i got mine but have been putting off removing the lower because i was told you have to remove the tire.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remove the 2 bolts and sleeves (washers) around bolts. I used a long flat bladed screwdriver to pop off the front. This is the point where you have to bend the plastic where the guard goes up in front of the rear pully so that you can clear the swingarm. I used a pair or channel locks and just bent the plastic enough to pull the guard out. After removing the lower I could barely tell where I had bent the plastic. Fairly simple job and the results are tremendous. As long as your passenger doesnt wear Bellbottoms everything should be fine.

·
Registered
826 Posts
How about a pic of the final product?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I took mine of but then I found this. I think it looks pretty good but I would never put the bottom one on. I have even seen the bottom one chromed and I just don't like how it makes the bike look.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I was thinking about taking the bottom guard off, but am a little concerned about crap getting into the belt between belt & sprocket. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
499 Posts
PiNkPaNtHeR said:
I was thinking about taking the bottom guard off, but am a little concerned about crap getting into the belt between belt & sprocket. Any thoughts on this?
Before my Raider I owned an 06 Warrior. I got a pebble caught between the belt and the pulley. The pulley pushed it into the belt and caused a dimple in the belt. I talked to the dealership and they said that with the torque of the Warrior... I could shred the belt if I got on the throttle. So.. with the torque of the Raider, I don't think it would take too much.

The belt costs 400.00 (just the belt) to replace.

·
Registered
292 Posts
As much as I don't like the looks of the lower guard, I'm going to have to think about this some more before removing it. $400 is a big chunk of change for me. That's outrageous!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts