MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I posted in another tread. I recently installed a relocation kit for my foot controls. The kit moved the stock controls forward three inches. The brake side went together fine. The problem is, the shift linkage rod is to short. The stock rod is 11.25 inches, the "new rod" is 13 inches long. In the words of Forrest Gump: "I'm not a smart man Jenny", but shouldn't the replacement be 14.25 inches long. Well, I emailed the seller of the kit with no reply so far.
I was looking at the Chrome billet linkage that Mortons sells. At this time the three options they sell only come in the stock lenghts. After talking with them, they are going to try to put something together for me. I should find out tomarrow if they can help.
Does anybody out there have any suggestions for me? Is there something already on the market that I missed?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
826 Posts
wow that is very interesting.......3 plus how much equals what??? Kinda makes you wonder who was building those doesn't it. Let me know what you come up with from the seller I was going to order those as well. You may check out my post here http://www.mybikeforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,161.0.html several people mentioned where I could get them, maybe you could contect them and get just the linkage at a reduced price. Just a thought

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eian31,
That is the link I purchased from. If you haven't ordered already, you should hold off a bit. Not only is the rod really short, but it isn't chrome or even polished aluminum. It is plain stock aluminum. Doesn't even have a wrench notch to tighten against the nuts on each end of the linkage. Maybe I got an odd ball mistake, if so the company should make it right. I'll keep ya posted.... :-\

·
Registered
640 Posts
brian4bes said:
As I posted in another tread. I recently installed a relocation kit for my foot controls. The kit moved the stock controls forward three inches. The brake side went together fine. The problem is, the shift linkage rod is to short. The stock rod is 11.25 inches, the "new rod" is 13 inches long. In the words of Forrest Gump: "I'm not a smart man Jenny", but shouldn't the replacement be 14.25 inches long. Well, I emailed the seller of the kit with no reply so far.
I was looking at the Chrome billet linkage that Mortons sells. At this time the three options they sell only come in the stock lenghts. After talking with them, they are going to try to put something together for me. I should find out tomarrow if they can help.
Does anybody out there have any suggestions for me? Is there something already on the market that I missed?

Thanks,
Brian
Mine was the same way. Here's what I did as a temporary solution.

Take off the shifter, where it's attached to the transmission and move it until you get the shift pedal where you want it. This way you won't have to take your foot off the peg each time you shift.

Here's a pic of what mine ended up looking like. You can see that instead of the trans linkage being straight up and down, it's now angled forward.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did the same thing as a temporary fix. Still not where it should be. The seller emailed me this morning, so hopefully he will send me a longer rod :icon_redface:, oops....did I say that.

·
Registered
826 Posts
lol now that is some funny stuff! let me know what that dealer has to say I really need to get a set of these but I want it to work as well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For all you guys out there interested. Mortons took a personal interest in my problem. I had told them that I was interested in thier Xcaliber Linkage. In order to make it work they exteded it from 11.25 inches to 14 inches for me. Here is a pic of it.
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll251/brian4bes/extendedshift.jpg
I'll post some pics once I get it installed. :icon_razz:

Brian

·
Registered
826 Posts
Looks really good Brian,
What did it set you back?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was $126.00.

I know I posted this before. Just a reminder. This is the kit that I bought. Everything with the kit is great except the length of the shift rod and the customer service. I emailed the guy multiple times. I got one reply asking what the problem was and that he only recieved one email from me. Well I haven't heard back since.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...E:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&viewitem=&item=300154748687

Glad Mortons is taking care of me.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts