MBF Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While enjoying the sunny Fl weather today, on my Raider, I heard a very loud bang. I asked myself what the @#*^ was that? The bike seemed to still handle smoothly for a bit, then that familiar thumping up and down sensation started. I carefully pulled over to the left turn lane, and upon noticing no parking lot, I carefully crossed over 3 lanes on the old dreaded "highway 19" I parked it over in a parking lot, and called my wife. When I looked at the offending object, I could not believe it. It was a 5 inch bolt...and had a nut threaded on the end of it,which was driven into the rear tire. I had to pull out the tool kit, and use the pliars, and a wrench, to lever that sucker out, since the nut was forced throught the rubber and belts, it did not want to come out easily. I had my wife bring me a portable compressor and a plug kit. Now I don't recommend doing this, but I was not going to leave my Raider there, just to be mishandled by a tow truck. I got it home the 15 miles safely. Now I am left with the question: What size replacement tire do I go with, a standard, a 240, or something in between. You know, it really sucks, one person's carelessness costs another person almost 300 dollars to fix, and in some cases, even worse. I wish people would secure their loose stuff on their trucks and such, but they don't think that far ahead, just "I can't wait to get home, wonder what's for supper" By the way,how do you post a picture on this site, I took one of that nut and bolt?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey Buddy,
I'm feeling your pain. I ran into a 1 1/4" sheet metal screw 4 weeks ago and had to get a new tire. It took 2 weeks to get one because no one was carrying the size. I had the same thoughts in regards to tire size but went with the stock because the bike handles to nice and I didn't wanted to mess it up.
Sure hope you don't have to wait that long to get your new tire. Luckily I went with the tire and rim replacement plan so it didn't cost me as much as it could have.

Hang in there,
Wolfraider

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would recommend the Metzler 240 X 50 R. It's the stock tire used on the Triumph Rocket III. It'll fit and, I think, it looks better than the low profile stock tire on the Raider. Just my 2 cents!

Mr. Max

·
Registered
123 Posts
You have a few choices; from another post:

"Avon (Cobra: 240/40, 8 inch rim, 120/70, 3.0-3.75 inch rim) and Dunlop (Elite 3: 240/40, 8 inch rim, 120/70, 3.0.3.75 inch rim) offer tyres that may be suitable too. I have Dunlop Elite 3's on my Victory 250/18 and 120/70 and they perform OK and the wear rate is acceptable.

Also, a Metzler 200/50 may look OK. Some of the Warrior guys say their bikes handle better when they downsize to a 190 tyre."

I don't think Metzler do a 240/50-18, it's a 240/50-16.

Cheers,

Scooter

·
Registered
826 Posts
Wow bro that sucks, sorry to hear about your bad luck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I located a couple of tires, one is the Metzler 240\18, for $199.00 plus 20 bucks to remount. I already took the wheel off of the bike, since I want to get used to doing maintainence on the belt, and see what makes it tick. The other tire available is the Dunlop Elite 3, 240\18 for only $149.00 plus 20 to remount. I may go with the latter. Thanks for all of your input. I guess being in a hurry to get back to riding has me feeling ok with my two available choices,sinc some of you have recommended them,and plus I can get one of these on the bike tomorrow.

·
Registered
123 Posts
jymmyjaymes said:
I located a couple of tires, one is the Metzler 240\18, for $199.00...
Which tyre is that the ME880/ME880XXL? I couldn't find that size on the Metzler website.

Cheers, Scooter

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Scooter your right about the rocket rear being a 16 inch. 240-50 profile. Anyone have a photo of a Metz 240-40-18 to compair profiles. (section hight)?

·
Registered
123 Posts
jymmyjaymes said:
...The other tire available is the Dunlop Elite 3, 240\18 for only $149.00 plus 20 to remount...
I think this tyre is designed for a narrower rim than the other 240/250 tyres too. So, you may not experience the cross section deformation.

Cheers, Scooter.

·
Registered
123 Posts
jymmyjaymes said:
I believe it's the Metzler ME880 240/40R18
Yes, thanks. Got it: http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/tires/metzeler/me880.asp

110-10430 240/40 VR 18 for 8.00-9.00 rims, recommend 8.50.

Be interesting to see it on the rim. It may make the bike's handling a little different: a tendency to stand up in corners because of the width (using handle bar force will overcome this, but it can be tiring on a long ride), if it bulges due to the narrow rim you will have a smaller contact patch and less grip, and the wear pattern will be different.

http://www.rswarrior.com as a lot of posts about using oversize tyres.

Cheers, Scooter

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got it on there

Well,I got the 240\18 Metzler on,and I don't really notice any handling difference in cruising mode, once they are broken in I will test their cornering ability. Also, they did not seem to raise my bike any higher. This has me scratching my head, since they do look a lot taller. And, in case you guys or gals are planning on doing a tire or belt replacement, take it from me, be sure to remove the stock exhaust from the rear, as well as the rear brake calipers.I put some scratches on the rim trying to wedge the rear brake arm and caliper assembly back into place, all in one piece. It is impossible to do, so just break them down. I have to tell ya, this bike is a masterpiece, I'm in love with the thing. Next project is to sand and rebrush those scratches I made. Hey Scooter, how in the world do I post a picture, I took quite a few of the finished job?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: I got it on there

jymmyjaymes said:
...Hey Scooter, how in the world do I post a picture...
Hey Jymmy,

Glad to hear you're mobile and happy with the new rubber!

It seems most guys here use 'Photobucket' to post photos. Photobucket will allow you to store photos and videos online for free, and then 'point' to them using an 'url' to display them on other sites.

You will need to register here: http://photobucket.com/register/

You will be required to add some profile data before you can add images/videos.

When you have registered you need to upload your photos to 'Photobucket'.

1. To do this follow the directions below:

You will see 'Upload Images and Videos' -> 'from:' -> assuming they are stored on your computer select the radio button to the left of 'my computer', click the 'Choose files' button and navigate to the folder where the photos are stored.

When you select/click a photo or photos (hold the 'Ctrl' key down to select multiple files) and select/click 'Open', which is on the right hand side of the filename textbox, you will be given the opportunity to add a title, description and tags to the photo. You can ignore this (description data can be added later). Scroll down the page and click 'save and continue'.

2. Next, get the url of the photo(s):

After clicking 'save and continue' you will see your photos near the bottom of the page. Below each photo there will be 4 boxes. Select/click the 'IMG code' box; you will see the word 'Copied' appear. This will automatically copy the url and 'img' for that photo.

Paste the url and 'img' tags into your post at the point you want to display the picture. Repeat step '2' for each photo you want to embed in the post.

Failing that you can PM me And I'll give you my email. Send the pics to me and I'll post them for you.

Cheers, Scooter

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: I got it on there

jymmyjaymes said:
Well,I got the 240\18 Metzler on,and I don't really notice any handling difference in cruising mode, once they are broken in I will test their cornering ability. Also, they did not seem to raise my bike any higher. This has me scratching my head, since they do look a lot taller. And, in case you guys or gals are planning on doing a tire or belt replacement, take it from me, be sure to remove the stock exhaust from the rear, as well as the rear brake calipers.I put some scratches on the rim trying to wedge the rear brake arm and caliper assembly back into place, all in one piece. It is impossible to do, so just break them down.../quote]

Photos from jymmyjaymes' recent tyre upgrade to 240\18 Metzler:

METZ 1

METZ -2

METZ -3

METZ -4

METZ -5

METZ -6

METZ -7 - the nut & bolt that caused all the trouble!

Cheers, Scooter

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Jymmy, that looks perfect on that wheel. Thanks for the picts.I noticed you never mention the section hight when refering to tire size.Thats very important when selecting tires.My rocket rear is 240-50-16 the 50 makes a big differance in hight. Thanks again..Jack :wave:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for posting em for me Scooter. Busajack, I didn't remember the exact height that the shop told me over the phone. I don't feel any height change at all with the new tire. :wave:

·
Registered
123 Posts
jymmyjaymes said:
Thanks for posting em for me Scooter. Busajack, I didn't remember the exact height that the shop told me over the phone. I don't feel any height change at all with the new tire. :wave:
No problem, 'Jymmy'...anytime.

You're tyre looks like a 240/40/18. The overall diameter of the tyres is not that different between that and the 210/40/18: 655-659mm (25.78-25.94 inches).

A useful formula for calculating tyre diameter:

Diam Inches = Rim Diam Inches + [ (2 x Aspect Ratio x Section Width) / 25.4]
Example: 200/55R18 Tire:

26.7" = 18 + [(2 x 0.55 x 200)/25.4]

Cheers, Scooter

1 - 20 of 25 Posts